Charges against Blackwater guards dropped
Thursday, December 31, 2009
About freakin' time, but a Happy New Year for five guys who never should have been facing charges in the first place.
WASHINGTON – A federal judge dismissed all charges Thursday against five Blackwater Worldwide security guards accused of killing unarmed Iraqi civilians in a crowded Baghdad intersection in 2007.
U.S. District Judge Ricardo Urbina said Justice Department prosecutors improperly built their case on sworn statements that had been given under a promise of immunity. Urbina said the government's explanations were "contradictory, unbelievable and lacking in credibility."
The decision throws out a case steeped in international politics. The September 2007 shooting in busy Nisoor Square left 17 Iraqis dead and inflamed anti-American sentiment abroad. The Iraqi government wanted the guards to face trial in Iraq and officials there said they would closely watch how the U.S. judicial system handled the case.
This was a political case from the get go, and I firmly believe the only reason these guys faced charges is the we made a deal w/ the Iraqis because they demanded we prosecute before they would sign the security agreement. There were claims that this was a massacre and that there were no shots fired at the convoy. That was always BS and I covered it extensively.
Exclusive- Source confirms convoy was fired on
"Contact, Contact, Contact"- Radio logs from Blackwater shooting
Hey how do you think that one ass clown who pleaded guilty and tried to rat the other guys out is feeling? Buddy is only half a word, jackass.