The wise solons of the Democratic Senate have offered up their latest incarnation of Cut & Run with Harry Reid and mine and Kev's Senator Feingold teaming up. Their cunning plan would start withdrawals and then hamstring our remaining troops putting them back on bases and the Iraqi populace back in the crosshairs. Here is the text of the bill.
SECTION 1. SAFE REDEPLOYMENT OF UNITED STATES TROOPS FROM IRAQ.
(a) Transition of Mission- The President shall promptly transition the mission of the United States Armed Forces in Iraq to the limited and temporary purposes set forth in subsection (d).
(b) Commencement of Safe, Phased Redeployment From Iraq- The President shall commence the safe, phased redeployment from Iraq of members of the United States Armed Forces who are not essential to the limited and temporary purposes set forth in subsection (d). Such redeployment shall be carried out in a manner that protects the safety and security of the United States Armed Forces.
(c) Use of Funds- Effective 120 days after the date of the enactment of this Act and except as provided in subsection (d), no funds appropriated or otherwise made available under any provision of law may be obligated or expended to continue the deployment in Iraq of members of the United States Armed Forces.
(d) Exception for Limited and Temporary Purposes- The prohibition under subsection (c) shall not apply to the obligation or expenditure of funds for the following limited and temporary purposes:
(1) Conducting targeted operations, limited in duration and scope, against members of al Qaeda and affiliated international terrorist organizations.
(2) Providing security for personnel and infrastructure of the United States Government.
(3) Providing training to members of the Iraqi Security Forces who have not been involved in sectarian violence or in attacks upon the United States Armed Forces, provided that such training does not involve members of the United States Armed Forces taking part in combat operations or being embedded with Iraqi forces.
(4) Providing training, equipment, or other materiel to members of the United States Armed Forces to ensure, maintain, or improve their safety and security.
(5) Redeploying members of the United States Armed Forces from Iraq.