Seamus sends this great story about The Veterans Museum in Texas, along with corporate and civilian support, are sending a BBQ to the Marines in Iraq for the Marine Corps Birthday on the 10th. Very, very cool!
October 27, 2004For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that Texans are doing this. I know I've said it before, but I keep thinking that I have to get out of Chicago...
As a show of support for the tremendous job our troops are doing in Iraq, The Veterans Museum in Texas and the locally famous Grill Instructors Barbeque Team will prepare a barbeque feast of beef brisquet, chicken, and sausage for the 1200 Houston-based Marines of the H&S Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment currently serving in Alasad, Iraq.
The barbeque will be prepared and cooked at the Marine Corps Reserve Center on Old Spanish Trail, Houston, Texas on November 7th, and taken the next day to Hobby Airport, where it will be loaded on a plane supplied by Federal Express for transport to Iraq in time for the MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY on November 10th, 2004.
The generous sponsors for this project are:
(1) Hibernia Bank-Mr. Bob New, 3500 lbs. of brisquet (Bob worked to get the help of Marvin Zindler - Houston's local celebrity from ABC affiliate Channel 13, FedEx, Halliburton and others to contribute)
(2) Buddys Natural Chickens, Gonzales, Texas-Mr. Tom Dowdy, 250 chickens
(3) V&V Smoked Sausage, Cistern, Texas-Mr. Robert Vinklarek, 150 lbs. of sausage
(4) Blue Bell Ice Cream, Brenham, Texas-90 Gallons of Ice Cream
(5) Halliburton Corporation-50/150qrt. Coolers for packing
(6) Federal Express-Transportation from Hobby Airport to Kuwait City
(7) United States Marine Corps Airlift Command for transportation of meat from Kuwait City to Alasad, Iraq.
A special thank you to Mr. Marvin Zindler for coordinating and sponsoring the donations from Hibernia Bank and Halliburton.
This project was coordinated by The Veterans Museum in Texas, Mr. Malcolm Browne, Chairman, Mr. Michael Hamby, chief cook of The Grill Instuctors cooking team and Mr. David Dunn, Corporal Scrounge.