« Book Review: Cybersecurity and Cyberwar - What Everyone Needs To Know (Singer/Friedman) | Main | Home for Christmas - A POW in 1969 »

Merry Christmas My Friend

Posted By Blackfive • [December 24, 2013]
Note:  This is an annual post to share one of the most powerful military Christmas poems that is also usually attributed incorrectly or changed from the original.  Enjoy.  Merry Christmas, my friends!

Most of you proably have read "Merry Christmas, My Friend" before, but have you heard it with the backdrop of Silent Night?

Below is the credit from WLIT:

Written by former Marine Corporal James M. Schmidt, in 1987 when stationed in Washington D.C., it was pounded out on a typewriter while awaiting the commading officer's Christmas holiday decoration inspection.  It was originally title "Merry Christmas, My Friend", and was an instant success that reportedly brought tears to the eyes of the barrracks Commander who ordered it distributed to everyone he knew. It appeared in the barracks publication Pass in Review in December 1987 and Leatherneck Magazine in December 1991.

The poem was recorded as a tribute by Father Ted Berndt, a former Marine and Purple Heart recipient during World War II, currently residing in Dousman, Wisconsin for his daughter Ellen Stout, a Clear Channel radio personality.

Here is the poem as read by Father Berndt:

Here's the original poem:

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND

‘Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney, with presents to give
and to see just who in this home did live.

As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand.
On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.

With medals and badges, awards of all kind,
a sobering thought soon came to my mind.
For this house was different, unlike any I’d seen.
This was the home of a U.S. Marine.

I’d heard stories about them, I had to see more,
so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.
And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene,
Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine.
Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?
Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan.
I soon understood, this was more than a man.
For I realized the families that I saw that night,
owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.

Soon around the Nation, the children would play,
And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.
They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year,
because of Marines like this one lying here.

I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone,
on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home.
Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye.
I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice,
“Santa, don’t cry, this life is my choice
I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more.
My life is my God, my country, my Corps.”

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep,
I couldn’t control it, I continued to weep.

I watched him for hours, so silent and still.
I noticed he shivered from the cold night’s chill.
So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,
and covered this Marine from his toes to his head.
Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold,
with an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold.
And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,
and for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.

I didn’t want to leave him so quiet in the night,
this guardian of honor so willing to fight.
But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,
said “Carry on, Santa, it’s Christmas Day, all secure.”
One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi and goodnight.

©Copyright circa 1991 by James M. Schmidt
(As printers in the December 1991 issue of the USMC magazine, Leatherneck)

Thanks to (the late) Bill Faith of Small Town Veteran for the poem link and correct attribution/origin of the poem!

Merry Christmas!

[Note: As the poem was written by a Marine about a Marine and the recording was made by a Marine, I'm not sure why the recording was titled "Soldier's Silent Night".  It might be because "soldier" can be used to describe anyone in the Armed Forces (capital S "Soldier" means Army).  Or it just might be a mistake.]

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Merry Christmas My Friend:

» Cost of Freedom - Priceless! from Hyscience
To all our Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and most particularly to my Marine brothers, God bless you and protect all of you, and know that we, your nation are grateful for your sacrifices. While we are at home for Christmas, you are risking your lives in b... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 18, 2004 12:10:31 PM

» Poetics from Grim's Hall
UPDATE: Bill suggests "A Warrior's Christmas," available in a slightly different form, plus as a sound file, here. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 18, 2004 8:02:04 PM

» Merry Christmas, My Friend from Flight Pundit
Blackfive has the dope on a poem & song that remindes Americans why America is great. God Speed, Semper Fi, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND ‘Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone. ... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 19, 2004 12:20:22 PM

» Further Effects of Being Farked from Illusions Etc...
I will at least have this one moment in the sun to look back on. I plan on updating this list with the current top stories on each of the top 50 sites. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 19, 2004 9:15:38 PM

A Soldier's Silent Night
from Small Town Veteran
'Twas the night before Christmas,he lived all alone,in a one bedroom house made ofplaster and stone. I had come down the chimneywith presents to giveand to see just whoin this home did live. [...] Read the rest of the lyrics [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 20, 2004 11:37:32 AM

A Soldier's Silent Night from Small Town Veteran

Tracked on Dec 20, 2004 11:56:32 AM

» Soldier's Silent Night from Blogs for Bush
Thanks to Blackfive, I urge you all to listen to Soldier's Silent Night (3.5 MB mp3).... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2004 9:20:02 PM

» MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND from Mudville Gazette
‘Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone. I had come down the chimney, with presents to give and to see just who in this home did live. As... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 25, 2004 7:08:43 AM

» Merry Christmas from Pardon My English
On behalf of the entire Pardon My English writing team, Merry Christmas to all. To all of the troops fighting overseas to protect the freedom we enjoy--especially on days like today--thank you, and Merry Christmas. Check out A Soldiers Silent Night,... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 25, 2004 8:45:44 AM

» MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 26, 2004 5:49:10 AM

» MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND from Mudville Gazette
MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND ‘Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone. I had come down the chimney, with presents to give and to see just who in this... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 26, 2004 6:23:04 AM

» MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 26, 2004 6:27:07 AM

» MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on May 15, 2005 2:57:03 AM

» A Soldier's Silent Night from Small Town Veteran
I posted this last year but it's too good not to post every year. This is what should be playing on all the radio stations instead of all that Rockin' Shoppin' Xmas crap they play ten time a day. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 23, 2005 5:28:31 PM

» Happy Christmas from Sgt Hook - This We'll Defend
From the Hook family to yours, wed like to wish you the Merriest of Christmas and Happiest of Chanukahs this holiday season. Though Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday, there is something about the energy in the air on Christma... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 23, 2005 9:51:27 PM

» A Soldiers Christmas from Pirates! Man Your Women!
Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all ... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 9:14:18 AM

» Merry Christmas, My Friend from gringoman.com
Via BlackFive (voted best military blog, 2004), another version of a traditional yuletide poem. This one is set far from the madding crowd of Beltway and Mall, the foto-ops and sound bites, neo-cons and neo-coms, Mother Sheehanites and Haliburtonites, the [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 1:52:53 PM

» Merry Christmas, My Friend from gringoman.com

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 1:55:27 PM

» Sneaks Wide World of Blogging 44: Soldiers Holiday from Sneakeasy's Joint
This series is dedicated to the proposition that Blogging is a prime example of the saying Variety is the Spice of Life. Let's get to the good stuff! Let's spend Christmas with the troops! The other day I wrote a [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 4:27:18 PM

» Sneaks Wide World of Blogging 44: Soldiers Holiday from Sneakeasy's Joint

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 4:38:16 PM

» Tree Blogging from The Political Pit Bull
Merry Christmas to all my readers! Beneath the tree, here are some C... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2005 11:45:17 PM

» Some Tour blogs from Tour Blog
Some Tour blogs. Archive · Blogroll · Chess · Flickr · Technorati... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 12, 2006 7:00:34 PM

» Merry Christmas My Friend from Theodore's World
Written by former Marine Corporal James M. Schmidt, in 1987 when stationed in Washington D.C. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 25, 2006 3:50:37 AM

» A Soldier's Silent Night from Bill's Bites
I posted variations of this post here and here but it's too good not to post every year. This is what should be playing on all the radio stations instead of all that Rockin' Shoppin' Xmas crap they play ten [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 25, 2006 11:37:03 PM

» The Soldiers Silent Night from Sgt Hook - This We'll Defend
With Thanksgiving behind us, the Christmas season has officially started. Ive spent the past few days chasing burnt out lights before stringing them around the house, pulling boxes from the attic, humming carols, and sipping egg nog. To kick off... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 26, 2006 7:03:13 PM

» Merry Christmas from Thinkin'bout Stuff
*** Merry Christmas *** Others in the Christmas Spirit: Gina Cobb Christmas Special,  Mark Levin Fan (click the little speaker on the page to hear A Soldiers Silent Night or visit Black Five to read the poem) Will add more as I ... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 24, 2006 12:19:46 PM