« Happy 376th Birthday, National Guard! | Main | Book Review: Living With Honor »

A Different Christmas Poem

Posted By Subsunk • [December 13, 2012]

[Annual Repost - first post December 7, 2005]

Subsunk here.  December is upon us.  The winds are howling and the snow is falling in much of America.  I came in to work today and found this in my inbox.  Folks at work know I am very pro-military, and look out for things like this for me.  I don't know who wrote it, but he has all the makings of the Bard in him.

Many will say they have seen tributes like this before, but this one is new to me.  I have seen Christmas remembrances to the military before.  But not this one.  This one explains what those who do their duty expect of "We, the Protected".  Whether you serve in Alaska or Amariya, Iraq, some small tidbits in the news have recently pointed out why our servicemen sign up to serve.  They've even mentioned that the Iraqis signing up to join the Iraqi Armed Forces feel the same way as our men and women in uniform do.  They signed up because it is their duty.  To defend America, to defend Iraq and America from terrorists, to defend Americans who sleep at home safe and sound, because it is a dirty thankless job.

But someone needs to do it.  And when you get to the bottom, remember why they do it.  Do they matter to you?  And have you shown it?

For you ladies and gents around the world, standing your watch, walking your post, doing your duty, giving your lives to us, WE REMEMBER:

A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS POEM

The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,

I  gazed round the room  and I cherished the sight.

My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,

My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.

Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,

transforming the yard to a winter delight.

The sparkling lights in the tree I believe,

completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.

My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,

Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep.

In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,

So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.

The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,

But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear.

Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know,

Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.

My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,

And I crept to the door  just to see who was near.

Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night,

a lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.

A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old,

Perhaps a Marine, huddled  here in the cold.

Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,

standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.

"What are you doing?" I asked without fear,

"Come in this moment, it's  freezing out here!

Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,

You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"

For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,

Away from the cold and the  snow blown in drifts..

To the window that danced with a warm fire's light.

Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,

I'm out here by choice. I'm here every  night."

"It's my duty to stand at the front of the line,

That separates you from  the darkest of times.

No one had to ask or beg or implore me,

I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.

My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December,"

Then he sighed, "That's  a Christmas 'Gram always remembers."

My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam,'

And now it is my turn  and so, here I am.

I've not seen my own son in more than a while,

But  my wife sends me  pictures, he's sure got her smile.

Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,

The red, white, and  blue... an American flag.

"I can live through the cold and the being alone,

Away from my family, my house and my home.

I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,

I can sleep in a  foxhole with little to eat.

I can carry the weight of killing another,

Or lay down my life with my  sister and brother..

Who stand at the front against any and all,

To ensure for all time that  this flag will not fall."

"So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright,

Your family is waiting  and I'll be all right."

"But isn't there something I can do, at the least,

"Give you money," I  asked, "or prepare you a feast?"

It seems all too little for all that you've done,

For being away from  your wife and your son."

Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,

"Just tell us you love  us, and never forget.

To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone,

To stand your own watch, no matter how long.

For when we come home, either standing or dead,

To know you remember we fought and we bled.

Is payment enough, and with that we will trust,

That we mattered to you as you mattered to us.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A Different Christmas Poem:

» PEARL HARBOR: 64 YEARS from Michelle Malkin
Why have so many chosen to forget? The Mobile Register reports that observances of the Pearl Harbor attack are down, in part because of Hurricane Katrina: While today marks the 64th anniversary of the Japanese attack on U.S. forces at... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 12:00:10 PM

» A Different Christmas Poem at Blackfive from Musing Minds
Just go read it. This is one of the most moving things I have read in quite a while. As an Army veteran, I can attest to the truth of it. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 12:22:33 PM

» A Touching And Different Christmas Poem from Oh How I Love Jesus
Black Five has a poem that will make your heart melt and swell with pride all at the same time. Please take the time to read it. Hat Tip Musing Minds... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 12:49:49 PM

» Silent Night, Watchful Night from Memento Moron: Remember, Thou Art Stupid
Merry Christmas to all, and especially to those manning the thin red line between us and all we fear. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 3:54:28 PM

» A Different Christmas Poem from Brutally Honest
There will be some who see this as hokey. There will be some who see it as corny, mawkish even. They might even chuckle while eliciting a Howard Dean-esque derisive grin. They can all go to hell. I like [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 5:00:49 PM

» A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS from Small Town Veteran
This is a re-post from last year; it's still excellent. Thank you Subsunk for reminding me about it (Do read his related post.) A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,I gazed round the room [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 5:01:48 PM

» A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS from Small Town Veteran
This is a re-post from last year; it's still excellent. Thank you Subsunk for reminding me about it (Do read his related post.)A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,I gazed round the room and I [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 7, 2005 5:19:55 PM

» A different Christmas Poem from American Geek
Blackfive has posted A Different Christmas Poem. It's a moving tribute to the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who serve to guard us from our enemies. I've reprinted it into the extended entry, but click on the link above to... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 5:31:33 AM

» A Soldiers' Christmas from Fuzzilicious Thinking
If you haven't read the poem that Subsunk posted at Blackfive's, you should. It reminded me of what I wrote last Veterans Day about meeting a veteran of Iraq who spontaneous hugged me: [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 8:26:26 AM

» Freedom Flies In Your Heart Like An Eagle from GM's Corner
A day that will live in infamy. But from this day, a young Texas kid would lie about his age and go through the rigors of war in the 3rd Infantry Division and become the most decorated soldier in WWII. His name, Audi Murphy. This is a part of a Poem he... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 11:12:24 AM

» Freedom Flies In Your Heart Like An Eagle from GM's Corner

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 11:16:54 AM

» Freedom Flies In Your Heart Like An Eagle from GM's Corner
December 7, 1941. A day that will live in infamy. But from this day, a young Texas kid would lie about his age and go through the rigors of war in the 3rd Infantry Division and become the most decorated soldier in WWII. His name, Audi Murphy. This is a... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 11:18:42 AM

» A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS POEM from You Betcha I'm a Proud Army Mom
Subsunk over at Blackfive has posted a poem by Michael Marks : A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS POEM The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light, I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 12:20:10 PM

» A Poem That is Different from Thoughts by Seawitch
Yesterday was the 64 th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I thought about what happened that day "that will live in infamy" as stated by FDR and also the "we have awakened a sleeping giant" as spoken by Yamamoto. The men who answered their countries call we... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 1:00:22 PM

» A Poem That is Different from Thoughts by Seawitch

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 1:01:48 PM

» A Christmas Poem from a Different View from Conservative Musings
Blackfive has posted a poem entitled A Different Christmas Poem. In light of our currently deployed Armed Services, it's a tremendously moving reminder of what they each do for us. It's a rather long poem, but please run over to [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2005 9:47:41 PM

» Vika Directory from All Blog Search
Searches weblogs by keyword and for links... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 15, 2006 4:33:09 AM

» Another Different Christmas Poem for the heroes from wheatcarr.com
Today, in Quilt Art, the always inspiring Karey Breshenhan began another of her wonderful ideas about something to do for our military - more of that another day. In response, Tomme Fent shared a poem she had received. After a bit of research, I lo... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 20, 2006 11:59:49 AM