« Exciting days at Blackfive Global HQ | Main | The F***ing Football Show »

The Day I Met The President of the United States...

Posted By Blackfive • [September 14, 2007]

...was today.

It was an immense honor to be among the military bloggers present.  Aside from John Donovan of Castle Argghhh! and Ward Carroll of Military.com, I'm not sure who else I can mention that was there.

I'll have a bigger, more improved post about the meeting, later this week, maybe Monday.  Photos too...

Yes, it was surreal sitting in a meeting with the President and then having him ask us what we thought of the Oval Office.

But it was very cool.  The President of the United States slapped my hand and called me "brutha".  Top that.

Anyway, he also kidded Bill Roggio and Bill Ardolino (two of my personal heroes who were in Iraq attending the meeting via teleconference) for not wearing ties...they were wearing Under Armor shirts and Ardolino looked like a freakin' rock star.  It was good to see them again.

The President, War Czar LTG Doug Lute, Tony Snow, Dana Perino, Stephen Hadley, and others were in the room too.

I was able to shake Tony Snow's hand and tell him "You were there when we needed you..."  He responded by pointing at Dana Perino while I shook her hand and saying "She is too..."

The President was very intelligent, razor sharp, warm, focused, emotional (especially about his dad), and genuine.  Even more so than this cynical Chicago Boy expected.  I was overwhelmed by the sincerity - it wasn't staged.

The one thing that he made sure was accomplished in the hour he spent with us was to say "Thanks."

It made four years of slugging away at telling the truth, four years of having my life and my family threatened, four years of listening to lies go unanswered about my brothers and sisters in combat (except by us), four years of spending valuable time and money in defense of something that should not need my presence...ah, you get the idea.

For an hour today, it made it all worth it.  He just wanted to say "Thanks, friend."

Fate would have President Bush leave us to go talk to newly minted Second Lieutenants commissioned today at Quantico...simply because...in his words..."they signed up knowing full well they'll be in combat..."  As he walked to Marine Corps One, he waved at us...the press not sure who we were, didn't know what to do...they kept the cameras on him.  Good move.  I kind of think that the President enjoyed that.

I'm flying back to Chicago and spending a night out with Mrs. Blackfive who spends enough time without her husband (even with Presidential requests for meetings).  I need to tell her "Thank you." for letting me do what I do.

I'll end with this.  Not about the President of the United States.  But about our Marines.  He'd agree with this thought...

My numero uno comprade, Uncle Jimbo, like many, many writers, in some way, compares the Marines to the 300 Spartans who stood at Thermopylae 2500 years ago.  Many will say that the US Marines are the Spartans of our age.  You might say that's fair enough.  But I say...

Bullshit.

Those Spartans who gave their all at Thermopylae were the United States Marines of their age.  I think that they had no idea of what it would take to defend the democracy that they died to create.  Again...it is worth it.

More to follow...Thanks to the Blackfive readers who've made this day possible.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Day I Met The President of the United States...:

» The Day The Bloggers Met the President from Technicalities
Matty O'Blackfive has his report here. John Donovan has his report here. Bill Roggio has his report here. NZ Bear has his report here. Bill Ardolino has his report here. The others: Mrs Greyhawk, Steve Schippert of Threats Watch, A... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 6:14:15 PM

» Roundup: Milbloggers Interview President Bush from Pajamas Media
Military bloggers describe their meeting with the President... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 7:47:34 PM

» Milbloggers Meet the Prez from Op For
Phenomenal to see such recognition of our humble little community at the highest levels of government. Present were the vets, guys like Blackfive, CJ Grisham, Steve Schippert, John of Argghhh, and Mrs. G (representing Mr. G), who have fought the... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 8:12:54 PM

» 2007.09.14 Politics and National Defense Roundup from Old War Dogs
Backers of slain Iraq Sunni sheik vow revenge Abu Risha killed 10 days after meeting Bush BAGHDAD - Mourners vowed revenge and perseverance Friday at the funeral of the leader of the Sunni Arab revolt against al-Qaida militants who was [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 8:42:31 PM

» Rockstar meets the Prez. from http://armywifetoddlermom.blogspot.com/
Mr. Blackfive (notorious name dropper) met one of the biggest names in the shizit. The President of The United States. Now, we don't have to hear about Joan Cusak, or Liz Phair any longer. [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 10:08:33 PM

» Rockstar meets the Prez. from http://armywifetoddlermom.blogspot.com/

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 10:20:56 PM

» C-in-C Meets IOWarlords from Civilian Irregular Information Defense Group
Somebody in the White House must have read Blogospheric Resistance.  If you have ever commented on one of the blogs listed below, somebody in the White House has probably read what you said, too.  The President, War Czar LTG Doug Lute, Tony Snow, Dan... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 10:40:27 PM

» Milblogs meet the President of the United States. Huzzah! from EXCALIBUR
This site and company is trying to do national security a whole lot different. There are brick and mortar [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 11:35:46 PM

» Milblogs meet the President of the United States. Huzzah! from EXCALIBUR

Tracked on Sep 14, 2007 11:45:31 PM

» Just a guy..... from Tammi's World
Back about 3 or 4 years ago, there was this guy....who had a blog. Damn, it was one of the funniest, most insightful things I'd ever read. He was just a guy in Chicago. With a wife and son. A... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 15, 2007 6:53:22 AM

» President Meets With Bloggers from America's North Shore Journal
This is outstanding. President Bush met with a group of bloggers, mostly milbloggers, yesterday. Two of the citizen journalists embedded in Iraq were present by videoconference. NZ Bear - Victory Caucus John Donovan - Argghhh! Bill Ardolino by video li... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 15, 2007 8:47:16 AM

» WHEN DID THE WHITE HOUSE TAKE DOWN THE "NO IRISH" SIGN? from Bad Example
Matty O'Blackfive met the President. George W. Bush is a lucky man.... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 15, 2007 11:08:44 AM

» So What did you do today? from MilBlogs
Me? just made history is all. Had a meeting with the President with a few other MilBlog Friends. Have to catch a flight out but you can read the others that may have had time to blog about it. BlackFive... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 15, 2007 11:17:48 PM

» MilBlogs invade the Whitehouse from Mudville Gazette
It was an honor to be among the MilBloggers invited to speak with the President for a hour on the various issues of the war and letting us express our concerns. I find this difficult to put this experience into words and I hope with some catch up sleep... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 16, 2007 12:05:11 AM

» My Take On The MilBlogs Visit With Our President from Mudville Gazette
It was surreal, to say the least, I think some of the others have used this description as well. We gathered in the Roosevelt room adjacent from the Oval office an hour before our meeting to be briefed, get video com set-up, checking mics, while at the... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 16, 2007 3:06:44 PM

» CINC's Call from CDR Salamander
As my IT3 would say, "Dude, that's cool." [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 17, 2007 5:21:55 AM

» Links of the Day from IMAO
Just about through my busy patch, so I'll soon be back to the quality blogging you've all come to expect... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 20, 2007 8:15:03 PM