« Mike Yon's Desolate Roads | Main | CBS Uses Al Qaeda Video? »

Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and "Let's Get It Done"

Posted By Blackfive • [January 30, 2007]

"It is proper to demand more from the man with exceptional advantages than from the man without them. A heavy moral obligation rests upon the man of means and upon the man of education to do their full duty by their country. On no class does this obligation rest more heavily than upon the men with a collegiate education, the men who are graduates of our universities. Their education gives them no right to feel the least superiority over any of their fellow-citizens..." - Theodore Roosevelt

I've got permission to go hot with this.   This is typical of what I've been hearing.

It's a manifesto of sorts from a Staff Sergeant in the fight in Afghanistan.  He had an experience recently while on mid-tour leave to see his wife and baby boy that was the last straw:

Things that I am tired of in this war:

I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my commander in chief and the way he goes about his job.

I am tired of Democrats who tell me they support me, the soldier on the ground, and then tell me the best plan to win this war is with a “phased redeployment” (liberal-speak for retreat) out of the combat zone to someplace like Okinawa.

I am tired of the Democrats whining for months on T.V., in the New York Times, and in the House and Senate that we need more troops to win the war in Iraq, and then when my Commander in Chief plans to do just that, they say that is the wrong plan, it won’t work, and we need a “new direction.”

I am tired of every Battalion Sergeant Major and Command Sergeant Major I see over here being more concerned about whether or not I am wearing my uniform in the “spot on,” most garrison-like manner; instead of asking me whether or not I am getting the equipment I need to win the fight, the support I need from my chain of command, or if the chow tastes good.

I am tired of junior and senior officers continually doubting the technical expertise of junior enlisted soldiers who are trained far better to do the jobs they are trained for than these officers believe.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who fight this war with more of an eye on the media than on the enemy, who desperately needs killing.

I am tired of the decisions of Sergeants and Privates made in the heat of battle being scrutinized by lawyers who were not there and will never really know the state of mind of the young soldiers who were there and what is asked of them in order to survive.

I am tired of CNN claiming that they are showing “news,” with videotape sent to them by terrorists, of my comrades being shot at by snipers, but refusing to show what happens when we build a school, pave a road, hand out food and water to children, or open a water treatment plant.

I am tired of following the enemy with drones that have cameras, and then dropping bombs that sometimes kill civilians; because we could do a better job of killing the right people by sending a man with a high powered rifle instead.

I am tired of the thousands of people in the rear who claim that they are working hard to support me when I see them with their mochas and their PX Bags walking down the street, in the middle of the day, nowhere near their workspaces.

I am tired of Code Pink, Daily Kos, Al-Jazzera, CNN, Reuters, the Associated Press, ABC, NBC, CBS, the ACLU, and CAIR thinking that they somehow get to have a vote in how we blast, shoot and kill these animals who would seek to subdue us and destroy us.

I am tired of people like Meredith Vieria from NBC asking oxygen thieves like Senator Chuck Hagel questions like “Senator, at this point, do you think we are fighting and dying for nothing?” Meredith might not get it, but soldiers do know the difference between fighting and dying for something and fighting and dying for nothing.

I am tired of hearing multiple stories from both combat theaters about snipers begging to do their jobs while commanders worry about how the media might portray the possible casualties and what might happen to their career.

I am tired of hearing that the Battalion Tactical Operations Center got a new plasma screen monitor for daily briefings, but rifle scope rings for sniper rifles, extra magazines, and necessary field gear were disapproved by the unit supply system.

I am tired of out of touch general officers, senators, congressmen and defense officials who think that giving me some more heavy body armor to wear is helping me stay alive.  Speed is life in combat and wearing 55 to 90 pounds of gear for 12 to 20 hours a day puts me at a great tactical disadvantage to the idiot, mindless terrorist who is wearing no armor at all and carrying an AK-47 and a pistol.

I am tired of soldiers who are stationed in places like Kuwait and who are well away from any actual combat getting Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay and the Combat Zone Tax Exclusion when they live on a base that has a McDonald’s, a Pizza Hut, a Subway, a Baskin Robbins, an internet café, 2 coffee shops and street lights.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who take it out and "measure" every time they want to have a piece of the action with their helicopters or their artillery; instead of putting their egos aside and using their equipment to support the grunt on the ground.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who are too afraid for their careers to tell the truth about what they need to win this war to their bosses so that the soldiers can get on with kicking the ass of these animals.

I am tired of Rules of Engagement being made by JAG lawyers and not Combat Commanders.  We are not playing Hopscotch over here.  There is no 2nd place trophy either.  I think that if the enemy knew some rough treatment and some deprivation was at hand for them, instead of prayer rugs, special diets and free Korans; this might help get their terrorist minds “right.”

I am tired of seeing Active Duty Army and Marine units being extended past their original redeployment dates, when there are National Guard Units that have yet to deploy to a combat zone in the last 40 years.

I am tired of hearing soldiers who are stationed in safe places talk about how hard their life is.

I am tired of seeing Infantry Soldiers conducting what amounts to “SWAT” raids and performing the US Army’s version of “CSI Iraq” and doing things like filling out forms for evidence when they could be better used to hunt and kill the enemy.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who look first in their planning for how many casualties we might take, instead of how many enemy casualties we might inflict.

I am tired of begging to be turned loose so that this war can be over.

Those of us who fight this war want to win it and go home to their families.  Prolonging it with attempts to do things like collect “evidence”  or present whiz bang briefings on a new plasma screen TV is wasteful and ultimately, dulls the edge of our Infantry soldiers who are trained to kill people and break things, not necessarily in that order.

We are not in Iraq and Afghanistan to build nations.  We are there to kill our enemies.  We make the work of the State Department easier by the results we achieve.

It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him.  He cannot be made to yield or surrender.  He will fight to the death by the hundreds to kill only one or two of us.

And so far, all of our “games” have been “away games,” and I don’t know about the ignorant, treasonous Democrats and the completely insane radical leftists and their thoughts on the matter, but I would like to keep our road game schedule.

So let’s get it done.  Until the fight is won and there is no more fight left.

-D

PermalinkComments (147)TrackBack (30) Subscribe to BlackFive

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and "Let's Get It Done":

» Stop the BS and Lets Get it Done from The Daily Brief: Military Musings and Thoughts Less Filtered
They say that NCOs arent happy unless were bitching.  This guy over at Blackfive is absolutely ecstatic!!  Things that I am tired of in this war: I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my commander in chie... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 1:54:20 PM

» I'd be tired, too from CatHouse Chat
This goes along very well with my previous post. Blackfive posts a letter from a Sergeant in Afghanistan, and you should go over and read it. Here's a quote: I am tired of begging to be turned loose so that [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 2:28:57 PM

» US Sergeant in Afghanistan is Tired of Many Things: from Pajamas Media
Among them he's tired of "Code Pink, Daily Kos, Al-Jazzera, CNN, Reuters, the Associated Press, ABC, NBC, CBS, the ACLU, and CAIR thinking that they somehow get to have a vote in how we blast, shoot and kill these animals... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 8:09:04 PM

» Stop the BS and "Let's Get It Done" from HomefrontSix
[Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 8:30:58 PM

» Feelings of Frustration from M. Keller
This is a link to a blogpost at blackfive.net. While its easy for me to say that its a good read being in safety and not fully knowing just how exactly things are over there. There was definately a power within the words of the Staff Sgt who wrote... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 8:40:00 PM

» A How To Guide from Technicalities
Here. Let's hope the power of the blogosphere works even a little to help out the Sgt.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 30, 2007 9:28:12 PM

» Read This from Blue Crab Boulevard
This is really important. All of you politicians, all of you fair weather supporters of the troops. This matters. Do not read beyond this point until you have read what is written over at the link. Is there a lot of just plain bitching in tha... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 12:04:04 AM

» Classic Grunt’s Gripe, Updated from Bill's Bites
... I should have my ass kicked for missing Blackfive's post earlier. Go read it now [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 3:32:37 AM

» Lets Get It Done from "7.62mm Justice" ™
From Blackfive: Its a manifesto of sorts from a Staff Sergeant in the fight in Afghanistan. Things that I am tired of in this war: I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my commander in chief and the way he goes abo... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 6:02:40 AM

» Staff Sergeant Delivers Manifesto on War: Great Stuff from Sunny
I'm reposting this from Blackfive just to make sure four more people see it.This note is from a Staff Sergeant currently in Afghanistan.Things that I am tired of in this war: I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my co [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 6:58:46 AM

» It's January 2007 in Iraq from I Love Everything
But the troops just want to kick ass, man! [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 9:09:43 AM

» Things Im Tired Of A Staff Sergeants Manifesto from UrbanGrounds
Ive been saying the same thing here for a long time regardless of what the politicians are saying, our mission over there is to kill terrorists by the truck loads so that we dont have to fight them here. And in that mission, we ar... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 9:52:22 AM

» Staff Sargeant In Afghanistan: 'It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him.' from Hyscience
From Black Five comes this "manifesto of sorts from a Staff Sergeant in the fight in Afghanistan." Apparently he had an experience recently while on mid-tour leave to see his wife and baby boy that for him "was the last straw": Things that I am tired o... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 10:30:52 AM

» Staff Sargeant In Afghanistan: 'It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him.' from Freedoms Zone
Black Five has a "manifesto of sorts from a Staff Sergeant in the fight in Afghanistan." Apparently he had an experience recently while on mid-tour leave to see his wife and baby boy that for him "was the last straw". Every damned word of it needs to b... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 10:39:19 AM

» News Not Reported from Sgt Hook - This We'll Defend
Longtime reader Kim shared with me the following email that she received from an Army Captain currently serving in Afghanistan Hi everyone. Im still alive but freezing my tail off. We got 8 inches of snow last week and it reached 5 degree... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 1:31:26 PM

» "I am tired..." from Brutally Honest
BlackFive has heard from a Staff Seargant serving in Afghanistan:Things that I am tired of in this war: I am tired of Democrats saying they are patriotic and then insulting my commander in chief and the way he goes about [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 3:41:07 PM

» Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and lets get it done from Cigar Intelligence Agency
BLACKFIVE: Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and Lets Get It Done Just go read it.  Youll be glad you did. ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 4:02:07 PM

» Listen to the Segreant: "Let's Get It Done." from Hugh Hewitt
The e-mail from the Staff Segeant I read on air is available here from Blackfive. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 5:33:34 PM

» A Very Good Read from The Heat Is On
[Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 5:47:33 PM

» A soldier on the ground is tired.. from WhereAreMyKeys
I was listening to Hugh Hewitt as I finished up my workday in the warmth, safety, and comfort of my office when I heard Hugh read this e mail from a Staff Sargeant in Afghanistan: Things that I am tired of in this war: I am tired of Democrats sa [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 5:49:56 PM

» Listen to the Sergeant: "Let's Get It Done." from Hugh Hewitt
The e-mail from the Staff Sergeant I read on air is available here from Blackfive. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 7:18:23 PM

» A REAL Story From the Trenches... from The No-Brain Zone
[Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 7:27:56 PM

» What do the troops think? from Reformed Chicks Babbling
The American people are all up in arms about what is going on over there and want to end this war because we are losing too many men (or so the MSM have told us that is what we want). The Congress is ready to pass resolutions that make it clear that ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 31, 2007 7:35:25 PM

» omg! unleashhell from o:g 권
heard this while driving home from work.. and pulled it up again to read again.. this puts to light why the actions of our congress and senate with their stupid non-binding resolutions hurt our troops like i wrote before time to take the ... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2007 1:16:09 AM

» Sargeant In Afghanistan... from Dean's World
Stop the BS and let's get it done. [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2007 8:04:02 AM

» 'Let's get it done' from Cop The Truth
You gotta love combat soldiers. No sugarcoating, no political BS, just straightforward this-is-how-I-see-it honesty. Like this piece from a Staff Sergeant in Afghanistan, posted recently at BLACKFIVE. Go read the whole thing, but here are some highligh... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2007 12:13:37 PM

» BLACKFIVE: Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and Let's Get It Done from The Dark Citadel
Nice long 'manifesto' written by a Sergeant stationed in Afghanistan. Lots of points that I'd have to agree with and would be too long to repost here so I'll just provide a link and let you read... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 2, 2007 12:02:09 AM

» Coffee Snorters: William Arkin's Worst Nightmare Edition from Villainous Company
This is what happens when you give those durned troops First Amendment rahts. Heh...... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 2, 2007 12:40:47 PM

» Sergeant in Afghanistan - Stop the BS and Lets Get It Done from Blue Star Chronicles
It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him. He cannot be made to yield or surrender. He will fight to the death by the hundreds to kill only one or two of us. Blackfive relates a letter f... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 7, 2007 4:37:18 PM

» Note From Afghanistan from Michelle Malkin
From time to time, Staff Sergeant D (on the Pakistan-Afghan border) shoots me an email on what's happening. The worst revelation is that the Army is charging the soldiers for Internet access (by the kilobyte) - I may have to... [Read More]

Tracked on Mar 16, 2007 9:04:36 AM