« Soldier Speaks Out | Main | More Google Searches... »

Go Army! Beat Navy!

Posted By Blackfive

Army_football_alone_copy_1

I didn't go to West Point.  But I did become a habitual watcher of the Army-Navy game when I was a young enlisted soldier - my Commander was somehow able to receive the broadcast of the game when were deployed.  Watching it brought us closer together and closer to home.

**Disclaimer for the Humorless 12-02-05:  I've gotten some really nasty emails (by looks of them, all from civilians) regarding name-calling and the rivalry around this game.  I think that they must be from civilians because I can't think of anybody that I know in all FIVE services that hasn't called me a doggie, grunt or ground pounder in a friendly manner at some point.  There are two major violations of the inter-service rivalry name calling (1) when you really use it derogatorily/mean it and (2) when you've never worn the uniform.  Last word, remember that the young men on the football field tomorrow will soon be leading troops and fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan or where-ever-the-hell-else we send them.**

For those who don't really get it, the Army-Navy game, between West Point and Annapolis, is possibly one of the most intense football rivalries of all time.   For the last one hundred and fifteen years (ten years without games), it has usually been the last game of the regular season and this season's A-N game will occur this Saturday.  Long ago, Army and Navy were the best football teams for decades and the Army-Navy game determined a championship.

However, only in one game in the last forty years did both teams have a winning season.  That doesn't seem to matter most times, though, as the spirit of the competition can energize the teams.

This Saturday's game is important as there is a tie to be broken:

Army: 49 wins
    Navy: 49 wins
    7 ties

The hyper-competitiveness of the game represents not just a rivalry in branch of service, but of service to the country.  It's a healthy rivalry and respect is paid to both the Army and the Navy at the end of the day.

Besides, in the end, one thing can be agreed upon by both sides of the Army-Navy game...

The Air Force Sucks.

[More  in the Extended Section about the emotions and traditions of the game.]

Army Players To Represent Fallen Soldier, Astronaut In Addition To U.S. Army Units

Dec. 1, 2005

WEST POINT, N.Y. - There will be a special twist to the time-honored tradition of Army's players sporting uniform patches that represent U.S. Army units during Saturday's battle with arch-rival Navy.

While the majority of the Black Knights will be wearing U.S. Army unit patches on their game jerseys Saturday, three Army players will be donning very special items on their uniform tops.

Junior linebacker Barrett Scruggs will be wearing the actual unit patch of a soldier who was recently killed in action during a combat mission in Afghanistan. The soldier - Pvt. John McKenzie Henderson Jr., hailed from Columbus, Ga., and was a member of the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment that was deployed this summer. In country for less than one month, Henderson was killed in action on Aug. 4.

Following the death of his son, John McKenzie Henderson Sr., who himself retired from the U.S. Army with the rank of lieutenant colonel, wrote a note to U.S. Military Academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. William J. Lennox Jr., asking if he would consider having one of Army's players wear a patch from one of his son's uniforms during the Army-Navy game.

"I am so honored that Gen. Lennox and the folks at West Point are doing this for my son," Henderson said. "I am thrilled that they would even consider it, much less execute the plan. It shows how much the people at West Point value what our soldiers are doing for our country."

Scruggs was notified earlier this week that he had been selected to wear the patch during Saturday's game.

"I think it's such an honor to represent John Henderson's family by wearing his unit patch," Scruggs stated "It will help motivate me a little bit more, to represent him in a good light. It's such an honor."

"My son and I used to end our conversations with the words, `Charlie-Mike,' - `Continue the Mission,'" Henderson added. "That would be my message to Barrett Scruggs - `Continue the Mission.'"

While Scruggs will be wearing the patch of the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, senior running back Seth Gulsby will be wearing a patch representing Expedition 12, a current NASA mission at the International Space Station being headed by astronaut Bill McArthur Jr., a 1973 West Point graduate. Gulsby recently chose to enter the Aviation branch of the U.S. Army following graduation.

A rabid college football follower and a big fan of his alma mater's grid team, McArthur recently requested the opportunity to speak with Ross via video teleconference and express his excitement with the "turnaround" season the Black Knights are currently enjoying. Ross visited McArthur from the International Space Station on Friday (Nov. 25) and the two enjoyed a 25-minute conversation.

During the visit, Ross informed McArthur that one of Army's players would be wearing the Expedition 12 patch that commemorates McArthur's current mission in space on his game jersey during the Army-Navy battle. This will mark the first time an Army player has sported a patch in honor of a current space mission commanded by a West Point graduate.

When informed of that by Ross, McArthur replied, "I'm never speechless, but I'm close at this point."

Earlier this season, McArthur sent an audio message to Ross and his football team through NASA's Mission Control in Houston. Ross mentioned that he had played the message to his team and they were tremendously inspired by his words.

"As you're well aware, and I know all the good men on the team are, they represent an awful lot of people," McArthur stated. "We talk about the `Long Gray Line' so much, it sometimes sounds like a cliche', but there's just an awful lot of people who think what you and the kids do is pretty important.

"We've had some interesting contacts since we've been up here on the mission, but I've got to tell you, talking to the head coach of Army is going to be one that will stick in my memory forever. Please convey to the young men just how proud we are of their season already. I wish them just the greatest success next Saturday."

Selected by NASA in January 1990, McArthur became an astronaut in July 1991. Since then, McArthur has held various assignments within the Astronaut Office including: working issues relating to the solid rocket booster, redesigned solid rocket motor, and the advanced solid rocket motor.

Currently, McArthur is the Commander and ISS Science Officer on the Expedition-12 crew which launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on September 30, 2005, aboard a Soyuz TMA spacecraft and docked with the space station on October 3, 2005. McArthur will live and work aboard the International Space Station on a six-month tour of duty.

The final Army player that will sport a special uniform patch on Saturday is senior running back Scott Wesley. On Wednesday, Wesley was selected as this year's recipient of the prestigious Black Lion Award. The Black Lion Award is presented in memory of former Army football great Don Holleder, who was killed in combat in Vietnam on Oct. 17, 1967, and the men of the 28th Infantry Regiment (nicknamed the Black Lions), who died with him that day.

As this year's honoree, Wesley will wear a patch representing the Black Lions (the 28th Infantry Regiment) during the Army-Navy Classic.

Posted by Blackfive on December 01, 2005 • Permalink

Categories and Tags: MilitaryTechnorati Links • Technorati Tags:

Comments
Comment below written by: AFSister

*sniff*

no love... NO LOVE!

Posted by: AFSister | Dec 1, 2005 2:17:25 PM

Comment below written by: Blackfive

Ah, Cheer up, AFSis...USAF football is usually better than both A-N teams...

And I was just expressing another rivalry. I think it's wrong to be offended until Sunday.

Posted by: Blackfive | Dec 1, 2005 2:23:25 PM

Comment below written by: Todd

GO NAVY

Maybe you guys can keep it within 30 this year ;)

Posted by: Todd | Dec 1, 2005 2:29:41 PM

Comment below written by: MajMike

finally something we can all agree on: BEAT NAVY

(also this is probably the solution to Jimbo's conundrum: where to let the "others" serve honorably....)

Posted by: MajMike | Dec 1, 2005 2:31:16 PM

Comment below written by: Don Miguel

"The Air Force Sucks."

B5, if I told that to my AF son (who works with 'Joes' on Army bases), he would probably agree.

Posted by: Don Miguel | Dec 1, 2005 2:53:25 PM

Comment below written by: gitarcarver

There are many disputes as to which collegiate rivalry is the most intense or greatest in the country. Some will pick Michigan / Ohio State. Some Auburn / Alabama. Others Harvard / Yale.

For me, there is nothing that approaches the intense emotions of the Army - Navy game. These are not men and women that will make millions of dollars at "the next level." They are the men and women that will help defend this county.

The emotion of the game is palatable. From the time the Corps and Brigade enter into the stadium to the singing of the Alma Mater, the spectacle is one of raw, exposed, intense emotion. It is that emotion that makes the game great and in my opinion, far better than any other rivalry in the country.

God bless 'em all.

Posted by: gitarcarver | Dec 1, 2005 2:56:30 PM

Comment below written by: Roachman

Matty O'Blackfive:

Pint of Guinness says Navy by 2 touchdowns.

Roll Navy down the field and beat the Army, beat the Army grey!!

GO NAVY! Hoo Yah!

Posted by: Roachman | Dec 1, 2005 2:58:02 PM

Comment below written by: Patrick (Gryph)

Either side would be lucky to have a football player like Esara Tuaolo on their team.

Posted by: Patrick (Gryph) | Dec 1, 2005 2:58:23 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

As a USNA grad, I totally agree!! The Zoomies suck!!

And this will be another romp for Navy!!

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 1, 2005 3:05:24 PM

Comment below written by: Lee Spencer

Great game, great history, and the finest that we have to offer. These young men will soon be called upon "to sow the seeds of this friendly strife". May God bless each and every one of them!
But seriously, "the Air Force sucks"? Air Force has and will continue to kick both of their butts with great regularity. You can look it up. Go FALCONS!

Posted by: Lee Spencer | Dec 1, 2005 3:10:25 PM

Comment below written by: Teresa

Go ARMY! BEAT NAVY!!!

That is all.

Posted by: Teresa | Dec 1, 2005 3:12:24 PM

Comment below written by: Fallshirmjager

Zoomies may suck but they do have some class.

I was at the Army-Airfarce (sic) game this year, and not only did I get to enjoy Army winning there for the first time since 1977, they had a pretty decent Half-time show.

In this case, the 2d Brigade Combat Team, 2ID, just returned from Iraq (and Korea) Paraded. Now THAT was pretty awesome.

On another note,

Because of the proximity to Fort Carson, Army usually has a pretty decent following. I was ironically sitting with my wife and son one row in front of about 5 operators from 10th Group. Smuggled alcohol and all. And you know what? the 8 of us were louder than the entire section cheering for AF.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

Posted by: Fallshirmjager | Dec 1, 2005 3:14:04 PM

Comment below written by: Bou

Oooo! Are we a betting man? Heh heh heh

We all know, only one team is allowed to beat Army, and that would be Navy. The goal of every season is for Navy to be 11-0 and Army to be 10-1, with their only loss to Navy.

GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!!!

Kick-Off 2:30. It's been on my calendar since last year... when Navy beat the crap out of Army!

Posted by: Bou | Dec 1, 2005 3:23:42 PM

Comment below written by: Alucard

Didn't Army and Navy kick the zoomies' butts this year? In any case, I wanna wish my Army cousins good luck (they'll need it). Btw, Roachman, it's Hoorah, not Hooyah. Only SEALs say Hooyah (is it possible that we have a frogman in our midst?).

Posted by: Alucard | Dec 1, 2005 3:55:24 PM

Comment below written by: Roachman

Alucard,

No not a Frogman (wouldn't pretend to pose as one, either). Just a lowly Master Helmsman, once upon a time.

Hung out with some EOD types, and also a lot of Marines. The Jarheads were always with the Ooh Rah, while the EOD guys would give the Hoo Yah. Been around those guys more recently, so it just stuck, and seemed to be what I rememberd from my days in the fleet.

All the same:

BEAT ARMY!

Posted by: Roachman | Dec 1, 2005 4:09:14 PM

Comment below written by: Master Chief

BOOYAH!

Go Space Marines!

Posted by: Master Chief | Dec 1, 2005 4:14:25 PM

Comment below written by: Buzz Patterson, Lt Col, USAF (Ret)

Oh Sure...Bash the boys in blue until you need a little close air, an AC-130 gunship pounding the living shit out of some terrorist stronghold, or a little hootch smuggled in your next pallet of goodies onboard the C-17....I see how it is. Just because we do 5-stars while you suck it up in tents, don't be testy.

We'll share the CINC Trophy with you guys...we've only owned it like 9 of the last 10 years. But who's counting?

Fly and Fight!
Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Patterson, Lt Col, USAF (Ret) | Dec 1, 2005 4:16:18 PM

Comment below written by: Alucard

Bah! This weekend is my drill weekend, so I won't be able to see it! Oh well, if we get out at our usual 16:00, maybe I'll see the last quarter.

BEAT ARMY!

Posted by: Alucard | Dec 1, 2005 4:16:30 PM

Comment below written by: kilabe

Go Navy!

Posted by: kilabe | Dec 1, 2005 4:17:33 PM

Comment below written by: Alucard

Don't worry, Buzz. We all know who really sucks-
The Coast Guard! :)

Posted by: Alucard | Dec 1, 2005 4:23:20 PM

Comment below written by: Blackfive

Hey, I did post a picture of an F15 on station today...

Posted by: Blackfive | Dec 1, 2005 4:24:27 PM

Comment below written by: Marvin

GO NAVY

Posted by: Marvin | Dec 1, 2005 4:26:08 PM

Comment below written by: R G T

BEAT ARMY! Navy will be racking up the trophy for the 3rd straight year and I'll be there to enjoy it.

Posted by: R G T | Dec 1, 2005 5:22:00 PM

Comment below written by: MCPO Airdale

GO NAVY!!!

Remember, when you have two weeks for mission planning you can get Air Force coverage. When you only have 2 minutes, you call for Navy and Marine Corps close air support!

BEAT ARMY!

Posted by: MCPO Airdale | Dec 1, 2005 5:42:12 PM

Comment below written by: Caelestis

Go Army beat Navy, end transmission

Posted by: Caelestis | Dec 1, 2005 5:53:38 PM

Comment below written by: Sgt. B.

Go Navy!

(What? You didn't think us Jarheads weren't grateful for the taxi service?)

*ducking for cover*

Posted by: Sgt. B. | Dec 1, 2005 6:03:07 PM

Comment below written by: Jack Kelly

I've been both a soldier and a Marine, and never a sailor, but I'll be rooting (as always) for Navy.

Posted by: Jack Kelly | Dec 1, 2005 6:03:41 PM

Comment below written by: Todd

This former Naval Security Group spook says Navy 34, Army 17.

"In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor"

Posted by: Todd | Dec 1, 2005 6:08:21 PM

Comment below written by: Alucard

Sgt. B.,
And the good chow ;)

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

P.S. Does anyone have any updates regarding the CinC trophy, which was apparently stolen from the Navy lockerroom?

Posted by: Alucard | Dec 1, 2005 6:17:27 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

I will admit that Navy and USMC aircrews will NEVER stop at a USN or USMC airbase on a cross country flight if there is a USAF base somewhere along the approximate flight path. Their facilities always look like airport VIP lounges, as opposed to the 50 year old WWII "temporary" buildings at Naval Air Stations.

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 1, 2005 6:34:32 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

Sgt B and ALucard,
And we were always grateful for how shiny the Marines could make the floors in the Admiral's passageway on the carriers!!

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 1, 2005 6:36:59 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

Sorry, I meant "decks".

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 1, 2005 6:37:39 PM

Comment below written by: Kit Jarrell

Okay, I had to comment.

1. Thank you, Lt. Col. Patterson. You said it best. Everyone hates the AF, right up until the time they need something. ;) I'm an AF girl and proud of it!

2. What is this "Marines making the decks clean" stuff? I'm married to one, and I've never seen a mop in his hand.

3. My two best friends are an Army vet and a Navy vet. I think I'll just watch the game locked in my bathroom and pretend I didn't watch it. ;) That way I can't get roped into anything.

Posted by: Kit Jarrell | Dec 1, 2005 7:06:11 PM

Comment below written by: MegaTroopX

I saw my first A/N in the med bay last year. I was sick as a dog at the time, and the results only made it worse.

GO ARMY!

Posted by: MegaTroopX | Dec 1, 2005 7:09:06 PM

Comment below written by: ALa

Are you coming to Philly for the game? If so, I'll take you out to dinner! :)

Posted by: ALa | Dec 1, 2005 7:18:51 PM

Comment below written by: Kate Shanahan

I'm not a real football fan, but I love this game. To anyone who hasn't been to one, you're missing the real meaning of life:-)

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Posted by: Kate Shanahan | Dec 1, 2005 7:53:15 PM

Comment below written by: invernessie

I am part of a dedicated Navy family, but just having come back from Philly on a business trip, I have to admire all the Army loyalists who have shown up in force in advance of the big game

Posted by: invernessie | Dec 1, 2005 8:11:27 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

Kit,
Ask your husband who is responsible for cleaning the area around the Admiral's quarters on a carrier. It is the Marine Detachment.

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 1, 2005 8:21:11 PM

Comment below written by: rick schwag/yani

I understand the emotion, but for a football game you can find more talent on the field in a Florida high school game.

No football studs would ever go to a service academy.

What I do find goofy is those cadets & midshipman stand through the entire game cheering and waving their hats.

Posted by: rick schwag/yani | Dec 1, 2005 8:47:46 PM

Comment below written by: Mike M

Exhelodrvr,

Aren't you being just a wee bit disingenuous? While it is true that the MarDet generally had the responsibility of keeping the Flag area squared away, who was actually working out with the Brasso and buffer? The miscreant sailors serving their time in the USMC-operated brig, that's who.

Posted by: Mike M | Dec 1, 2005 8:52:17 PM

Comment below written by: malclave

"No football studs would ever go to a service academy."

Hmm... I'm showing my age here, as I haven't followed sports in years. But I seem to recall one who might qualify as a "football stud":

College Highlights:
• Led Navy to a 9-1 regular season record and a No. 2 national ranking (1963)
• Awarded the Heisman Trophy (1963)
• Awarded the Walter Camp Memorial Trophy (1963)
• Received the Naval Academy Athletic Association Sword (1965)

NFL Career Totals:
• Passing: 1,685 Completions for 22,700 Yards and 153 Touchdowns on 2,958 attempts
• Rushing: 2,264 Yards and 20 Touchdowns on 410 Attempts

NFL Highlights:
• Pro Bowl Selection Six Times
• 4-Time NFL Passing Champion
• Super Bowl MVP (VI)
• Won two Super Bowl Titles (VI, XII)
• Won Five NFC Titles
• Won Seven Division Titles
• Received the Byron "Whizzer" White Award (1979)
• Named Vince Lombardi Sportsman of the Year (1975)
• Named NFL Players Association Most Valuable Player (1971)
• Received Bert Bell Award (1971)
• Received Field Scovill Award by the All-Sports Association of Dallas (1975)
• Named to the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor (1983)
• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame

So much for "ever". ;)

Posted by: malclave | Dec 1, 2005 9:42:41 PM

Comment below written by: Kelly

I am trying to decide who to root for this year, given that I grew up in a Navy family but now I'm married to an Army officer - oh the dilemma!!! Thus far, the poll on my blog is heavily supporting Army. Maybe I'll just say GO NAVY GO ARMY! Ha ha ha. Thanks for sharing the article above about the Army team - that's a good one.

Posted by: Kelly | Dec 1, 2005 9:49:45 PM

Comment below written by: scorpion_314

The AF may suck but hey they have some great digs when they deploy.

Posted by: scorpion_314 | Dec 1, 2005 10:22:11 PM

Comment below written by: seawitch

GO NAVY!!!

Posted by: seawitch | Dec 1, 2005 10:29:57 PM

Comment below written by: JoeS

God bless ALL of you! We are all on the greatest team in history.

Posted by: JoeS | Dec 1, 2005 10:30:54 PM

Comment below written by: TheNewGuy

Sounds to me like some grunts want to carry their own 500lb bombs next time.

If you don't treat us zoomies nice, then the next time it's danger-close and you CFF, we'll make you say "pretty please."

Posted by: TheNewGuy | Dec 1, 2005 11:27:24 PM

Comment below written by: Jose J Clavell

Go Army!

Beat Navy!

Air Force Sucks!

Clarity of message: Priceless!

Posted by: Jose J Clavell | Dec 1, 2005 11:40:22 PM

Comment below written by: Smorty

GO NAVY!!!

I see there is a strong theme in here showing that, only a very small percentage likes the army.

Not sure exactly why but for myself.. it's underlying!!! ooohh

Posted by: Smorty | Dec 1, 2005 11:53:34 PM

Comment below written by: kat-missouri

Go Navy!

Okay, now I must go to my blog and tell my "once upon a time in Philly I went to an Army/Navy game" story.

Feel free to stop by Friday morning and read about all the depravities we partic...er...suffered through.

Posted by: kat-missouri | Dec 1, 2005 11:58:32 PM

Comment below written by: Jason Lomberg

Smorty,
I'm a bit surprised, too. Isn't this primarily an Army site?

Posted by: Jason Lomberg | Dec 2, 2005 12:29:13 AM

Comment below written by: HomefrontSix

Just like he did in the end zone when he was in ROTC, MacGyver (the husband) will be doing pushups for every point Army scores.

May it be more than Navy.

GO ARMY!!!

- hfs

Posted by: HomefrontSix | Dec 2, 2005 3:16:42 AM

Comment below written by: Todd

The poor AF is taking a lot of abuse here...so let me pile on ;)

Even though Navy, I was stationed at Misawa AB, Japan in the late 80s. There was an F-16 squadron there, and Navy P-3s. Also, on occasion the Navy would fly up off USS Midway which was in Yokosuka.

One of the funniest things I remember seeing is the AF pilots would wear silk scarves with a squadron design with their flight suits - very stylish of course. I saw some Naval Aviators from the Midway walking into the Misawa O Club, with toilet paper wrapped around their neck and tucked into their flight suits. Hilarious. Wish I could have seen the reaction inside the club...

Posted by: Todd | Dec 2, 2005 6:44:26 AM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

Mike M,
No, I never saw a sailor doing the cleaning in that area. Always Marines. Reminder for the Marines; the USMC is a department of the Navy. The lingerie department. (The typical response is "You mean the Mens' Department.")

BTW, the best man at my wedding was a USMC fighter pilot; I was best man at two USMC weddings, including his. Spent every Easter during my USNA years at his house in New York, as it was too expensive to fly back to California. So the digs at the Marines are all in jest. (And, to be honest, the same goes for the USAF.)

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 2, 2005 7:44:06 AM

Comment below written by: Greta (Hooah Wife)

Try as a might - I could not trackback this post for some reason! Go Army! Beat Navy!

Posted by: Greta (Hooah Wife) | Dec 2, 2005 8:12:53 AM

Comment below written by: Buzz Patterson, Lt Col, USAF (Ret)

Matty

...and another thing. You'd have a helluva time HALOing off a Humvee or Harrier. Someone's gotta find the DZ for ya!

We put the "Air" in "Airborne!"
You're welcome. ;)

Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Patterson, Lt Col, USAF (Ret) | Dec 2, 2005 8:13:48 AM

Comment below written by: Blackfive

...and of course, Buzz, I would hate to walk.

Posted by: Blackfive | Dec 2, 2005 9:04:57 AM

Comment below written by: McRubble

"No football studs would ever go to a service academy."

The "football studs" you have in mind couldn't get in to a service academy with a warrant. Besides, when cadets and midshipmen graduate (that's when they complete a course of study satisfactorily and receive a "degree", and a "commission") they go off to do things like run nuclear power plants, or fly really really complicated aircraft, or command missile batteries and suchlike. You know, the sorts of things where it's useful to, like, know stuff.

Posted by: McRubble | Dec 2, 2005 9:32:26 AM

Comment below written by: Joe Crivelli

Many years ago, there was a sports announcer named Chip Cipolla on WNEW-AM in NYC.

After one A/N Game, he had a discussion with a friend who thought that the academies should recruit for football like the other big-name schools.

On his Monday morning report, Chip related this discussion and agreed that the academy football programs weren't up to those of Florida, USC, or Notre Dame. Then he concluded that, when it came to the BIG game, these players have never let us down.

Posted by: Joe Crivelli | Dec 2, 2005 10:15:49 AM

Comment below written by: ARSOF Dad

My son, an SF Team Leader, was not a member of the football team, but his firstie roommate was the team Captain. He has been invited by his class’ football team alums to join them for the game this Saturday as an honorary Army Football team member. Earlier this week he told me that to have his “scrawny 165 pound 5 foot 8 inch carcass” imedded with his classmates for the game will undoubtedly be one of the 10 most incredible things that will happen to him in his life. And this from a young man who proclaimed to hate West Point everyday he was there. I must say he is pretty proud now – especially of the men with whom he stands this Saturday, everyone a combat veteran. GO ARMY!!!

Posted by: ARSOF Dad | Dec 2, 2005 11:09:18 AM

Comment below written by: That 1 Guy

Sorry, Matt, gotta go with Navy on this game. Otherwise, I'll pull for both.

But I'll agree that Air Farce sucks...

Posted by: That 1 Guy | Dec 2, 2005 11:52:40 AM

Comment below written by: Skeptic

Air Force 'sucks'? Then where does that leave Army and Navy who have given up the CinCs trophy to the Falcons more than twice as often as either of them has won it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_in_Chief%27s_Trophy

Posted by: Skeptic | Dec 2, 2005 2:07:43 PM

Comment below written by: Blackfive

The Air Force has had a good team for the last twenty years (I never said that they sucked at Football).

But, this year, the winner of the A-N game will get the trophy.

Posted by: Blackfive | Dec 2, 2005 2:37:27 PM

Comment below written by: Mr Bob

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY
I work in a joint unit, so we've been ribbing each other for the last few weeks. This should be a fun game, and I actually hope it close and exciting.
If you haven't read Smash's Army jokes they are hilarious and for those of you on the Army side, you can always switch them around for your party and make them Navy Jokes.
We work on an AF base...we love the food, and the big screen TV's, so I don't bash the AF too much...:-{)

Posted by: Mr Bob | Dec 2, 2005 3:25:48 PM

Comment below written by: Oceanguy

We mids used to hear the cadets sing...

"We don't play Notre Dame...
[...}
We just play Holy Cross
'Cause that's the fearless Army Way!"

Beat ARMY

Posted by: Oceanguy | Dec 2, 2005 3:38:49 PM

Comment below written by: Rex

My son (and his classmates) had the unenviable distinction of being the first class at Annapolis to graduate with Navy never winning against Army during their four years. Oh, well.

But he had fun at Ft. Benning when going through jump school, and after he finished jump school, as he and a friend were in the parking lot by the Exchange, they saw one of their instructors who yelled, "Airborne" to them. They yelled back, "Beat Army", and were already dropping to the pushup position when they saw the instructor cock his index finger at the ground. After a few iterations of this, the instructor finally got in his car and drove off.

Posted by: Rex | Dec 2, 2005 3:43:53 PM

Comment below written by: SMASH

Let's all join together and sing the ARMY FIGHT SONG:

We don't play Notre Dame (No, we don't!)
We don't play Tulane...
We just play Holy Cross (and we lose!)
'Cause that's the fearless Army way!

GO NAVY!

Posted by: SMASH | Dec 2, 2005 4:09:04 PM

Comment below written by: SMASH

Bobby Ross gave his Army football team a few days off before the big game. Several decided to go down to Panama City Beach for fun and relaxation.

Coach Ross saw the players the first day back at practice and asked about their vacation.

"Not good coach," said the players. "We never made it to the beach."

"Why not," the coach asked, "car trouble?"

"No," they replied, "every few miles down the interstate we saw signs that said, 'Exit, Clean Restrooms'. You have no idea how many restrooms we cleaned between West Point and Panama City!"

Posted by: SMASH | Dec 2, 2005 4:27:24 PM

Comment below written by: Brian B

God did not give me a body fit to serve, but I am eternally grateful to those who do. However, this is the one time a year that I stick my nose into things related to Military culture.

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

My father and Grandfather both served in the US Navy with distinction, my grandfather going aboard a sister ship after it had been hit by a kamikaze as part of a rescue party.

But after the final second ticks off the clock, my prayers go with the members of both teams, especially the seniors as they prepare to put themselves in harms way for my sake.

Posted by: Brian B | Dec 2, 2005 5:20:01 PM

Comment below written by: exhelodrvr

BTW, one of Bobby Ross' sons is a USNA grad, and another one was an Army officer. (Don't know if he went to the Point or not.) Ross also coached at the Citadel for a number of years, so he definitely "gets it."

Posted by: exhelodrvr | Dec 2, 2005 5:23:35 PM

Comment below written by: tsjafo

The Army may be mothers, but they are our mothers!

WIN ARMY

BEAT NAVY

GO AIR FORCE!

Posted by: tsjafo | Dec 2, 2005 7:45:30 PM

Comment below written by: Bou

Whoo hooo, Matt! Are ya ready?!!! Just a little pre-game taunting! Go Navy!!! Beat Army!!!

Posted by: Bou | Dec 2, 2005 10:15:55 PM

Comment below written by: Jihadgene

John Kerry was Navy. Hahahahahaha!!!!

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jihadgene | Dec 3, 2005 12:10:02 AM

Comment below written by: MajorDad1984

Something tells me that this might actually be a game this year. The Black Knights have shaken the cobwebs out and know what it means to win again. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll take the 4 game win streak and make it 5!

From the Hill Country of Central Texas and the home of the III Phantom Corps, 1st Cav Division and the deploying 4th ID....GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

See you on the high ground with the CINC's Trophy!

MajorDad1984

Posted by: MajorDad1984 | Dec 3, 2005 6:47:47 AM

Comment below written by: RobP

All my time at Annapolis, we were 0-4 in the most important game in football. Payback is a bitch. Beat Army!

Posted by: RobP | Dec 3, 2005 7:24:00 AM

Comment below written by: RobP

Posted by: RobP | Dec 3, 2005 7:24:29 AM

Comment below written by: RobP

bah sorry for double post

Posted by: RobP | Dec 3, 2005 7:25:01 AM

Comment below written by: George

Hoo Yah Navy!!!
Once these cadets get to their real jobs, it will be some senior enlisted who will have to take them under their wing and show them how to run their department. They will become officers and gentlemen by acts of Congress, but senior NCOs and Petty Officers will be the ones to keep their bacon out of the frying pan. A degree from an academy is terrific, but for a year or so, best advice is, keep your eyes and ears open, and mouth shut, practical experience will take you far, and involve your charges in your training, you'll earn their respect rightfully. Represent America for what we have been for over 200 years, show the world, we (working class) want the same things they do. Not all of us are politicians.
Fair winds and following seas,
An old subsailor

Posted by: George | Dec 4, 2005 4:32:17 PM

Comment below written by: night heron

Hey i come from a long line of NAVY persons including a father and 3 uncles in WW II one was in the SEABEES and my dad was in the BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA on the USS LEXINGTON

Posted by: night heron | Dec 4, 2005 9:27:50 PM

Comment below written by: Bruno

plus gentilles jeune ^@^ femmes matures pornovideos ^@^ finfin sekretar ^@^ snygg sjukskoterska ^@^ kaamea teini striptease ^@^ korea opiskelija ^@^ serveuse cul en paix ^@^ flic cul dans antichambre ^@^ ryper grupper i fred ^@^ lesbisk kjonnsliv i huset ^@^ schoolmeisje kont vredig ^@^ gevoel grietje ^@^ onzichtbaar schoolmeisje liefde ^@^ tiener het klaarkomen in de keuken ^@^ fantastisch aziatisch beffen ^@^ kiintymys aasialainen sukupuolielama ^@^ yliluonnollisesti sairaanhoitaja tupla penetraatio ^@^ huikea poliisi dildo ^@^ sensation jeune fist ^@^ fabuleux infirmiere double chatte ^@^ beaute fille du cul a la bouche ^@^ tunne isukki ^@^ viilein pilkallinen aitikka ^@^ papa mediocre ^@^ douce trente ^@^ affetto asiatiche inculate ^@^ farsesco amatoriali sex ^@^ koeler schitterend maagd ^@^ wonderbaarlijk beffen ^@^

Posted by: Bruno | Sep 12, 2006 2:15:20 AM

Comment below written by: fazi

likeable asiatiche dildo $ comunicazione aziendale $ prittiest bionde fotti $ sito internet brindisi $ bollente amatoriali urinate $ samanta fox sex $ progetti creativita $ finanziamento a rate $ residence bologna $ noto siracusa $ risibile fighette sex $ buono amatoriali sesso $ oilily shopping online $ collagegirl $ fiche focose video gratis $ anti aging treatment $ troie con la gonna $ pass badge $ hotel lusso piacenza $ camping cesenatico $ cake mania $ all inclusive vacation $ finanziamento mobili $ pc cdrom $ marina grosseto hotel $ occupazione puglia $ protesto visura $ scopata tra le pietre $ giovane orale fotti in pace $ eccellere inglesi $ cases display $ spazzolato sardegna $ servizio internet imola $ favoloso cinema $ maduros $ agenzia immobiliare aosta $ studentesse sculacciata $ rosso macchina utensile $ askwebhosting comweb hosting $ satellite toshiba $ tori spelling $ professionale macchina caffe $

Posted by: fazi | Oct 30, 2006 3:10:36 AM