« Questions | Main | Back Online »

Over There

Posted By Blackfive • [July 27, 2005]

Okay, I've been getting a few emails every minute or so with negative reactions to the FX show "Over There".  I had checked the site a few days ago and found the characters to be cartoonish and stereotypical.  I figured it wouldn't be very complimentary or truthful or real.

I decided to nurse a Guinness here on Lake Ozark rather than watch it or TiVO it.

If you've seen it, sound off in the Comments.  I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

PermalinkComments (155)TrackBack (70) Subscribe to BlackFive

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Over There:

» "Over There" met with some hostility from A Healthy Alternative to Work
Like Blackfive, I missed the premiere of FX's new show "Over There" last night. However, he's opened the comments section of the post up to readers who had seen it and want to comment on the program, and comment they have. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 8:31:21 AM

» "Over There" met with some hostility from A Healthy Alternative to Work

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 8:34:52 AM

» "Over There" Report, by Ry. from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..
I *was* gonna do this, but what the heck, I'm running short on time, and Ry already sent this in. Any dissenting opinions? Okay, 'Over There' report: It's pretty bad. Has just about all the old war movie cliches and... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 9:40:27 AM

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 9:42:11 AM

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 9:51:21 AM

» Over where? from CDR Salamander
Yep, I saw it. Last night I forced myself, against my better judgement, to watch the new FX show "Over There." I'm not an Army guy so I won't comment on the ground details, but this show just didn't make it. Can't we find some non-Boomers to make ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 10:56:34 AM

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 11:17:43 AM

» Over There from Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave
"Over There" debuted, a TV "drama" about Iraq. As has become my norm for twenty years now, I basically ignored yet another piece of what I deemed to be Hollywood trash that would not reflect any sort of military reality... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 12:28:32 PM

» Live-Blogging "Over There" from Reasoned Audacity: Politics in Real Life
"Over There" tonight at 10 EST. The new television series about the Iraq war. I'm skeptical. So I've decided to live-blog it. If you're watching, too, send comments. *** 2201 Sex in the kitchen for starters? Oooh. That's subtle.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 1:26:33 PM

» Don't Go "Over There" from The Noonz Wire
No, I didn't watch Over There last night. I instead opted for a little Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. Based on the comment thread for Blackfive's Over There post, it sounds like that was the right home entertainment decision. The derision and critici... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 3:31:48 PM

» Over There: Over And Out from Ed Driscoll.com
Via Hugh Hewitt, military bloggers Argghhh!!! and Blackfive have posts on the new cable war drama Over There, which make the show sound even more craptacular than its ads imply.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 4:37:41 PM

» "Over There" -- Sounds Like A Why Bother from OKIE on the LAM™ - In LA
Unless you are a hopeless, Vietnam-fixated hyper-Lefty, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to watch Steven Bochco's new war series on FX, Over There. Supposedly a realistic look at the current war in Iraq from the "men-in-the-field" point of vie... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 4:38:12 PM

» "Over There" from The Indepundit

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 5:04:29 PM

» Over There from .:.WitNit.:.
I had some hopes Bochco would do something new. He doesn't. He's about 20 years out of date. Sad to say it was boring and stereotypical. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 5:59:43 PM

» "Over There" from The Indepundit
I DIDN'T WATCH IT, and judging by the universally negative reviews from other milbloggers, I didn't miss much. UPDATE: Mrs. Smash recorded it for me. It was like a bad Vietnam movie, filmed in what was clearly the Mojave desert... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 11:48:38 PM

» "Over There" Overhyped from Just Some Poor Schmuck
The reviews of Stephen Boccho's Iraq war series "Over There" are in and it is universally panned. Not by TV critics, or war critics, but by those who are supposedly being portrayed. The comments in Blackfive's posting BLACKFIVE: Over There... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 3:22:47 AM

» Dawn Patrol from Mudville Gazette
IRAQ Typical day on the ground -- [ American at heart - in Iraq] We’ve been busy, busy, busy. Early mornings, long days, and hot weather (135F on Sunday) were my companions these past few days. We are now going... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 7:53:03 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 8:01:27 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 8:32:07 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 8:34:12 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:05:09 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:07:08 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:23:48 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:28:22 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:31:56 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 10:37:18 AM

» Dawn Patrol from Mudville Gazette
IRAQ Welcome Aboard -- [Michael Yon - in Iraq] Mosul, Iraq Across Iraq, I keep running across American troops who are not Americans. Many of these soldiers and Marines are working towards attaining U.S. citizenship while in uniform, under fire,... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 11:02:03 AM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 11:04:02 AM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog
Evidently, the FX network (a sister station of Fox) has an "epic original series" called Over There, which is a dramatization of the Iraq War. It debuts tomorrow night. I will ignore, for now, the horrid forbodings it offers for... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:10:33 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:12:18 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog
Evidently, the FX network (a sister station of Fox) has an "epic original series" called Over There, which is a dramatization of the Iraq War. It debuted last night. I will ignore, for now, the horrid forbodings it offers for... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:13:28 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog
Image from http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/overthere/Evidently, the FX network (a sister station of Fox) has an "epic original series" called Over There, which is a dramatization of the Iraq War. It debuted last night. I will ignore, for now,... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:38:18 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:39:04 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:39:51 PM

» TV Reviews From Those Who Have Been "Over There" from Joe's Dartblog

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:41:03 PM

[Update - unexpected Instalanche for my birthday, whee! Welcome visitors, do feel free to poke around. If you would rather get the abbreviated version (synopsis) of all the opinion here, consider this post, where I wrap it up into a... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:46:01 PM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 12:47:54 PM

» Wrong Answers from baldilocks
An anonymous Navy Chief Petty Officer lays down the rules of the game.America has the wrong Army. I don't know how it happened, but it did. We have the wrong Army. It's too small; it's not deployed properly; it's inadequately [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:00:12 PM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:15:36 PM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:17:31 PM

» Saved By A Review from Literal Barrage
I heard an NPR spot for FX's new show "Over There" which supposedly depicts life on the ground during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Initially, I wondered if it would be worth downloadingwatching. Thankfully, some real soldiers have done th... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 2:23:42 PM

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 2:39:37 PM

» Hide and Seek in Plain Sight from Talkativeman
In this post I would like to present to you two phenomena that we are all familiar with, but sometimes are too familiar and hence lost our attention. First phenomenon is LIPS, short for Lost In Plain Sight. For example, [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 2:40:19 PM

» Hide and Seek in Plain Sight from Talkativeman

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 2:41:36 PM

» Over There from Over Here from Abracadabrah
So I watched Over There the other night... But, heh! Apparently, I'm way, way too soft core, because the military types over at BlackFive sure thought it sucked; not least because it used trademark, military stock characters [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 3:32:04 PM

» Over There from Over Here from Abracadabrah

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 3:34:03 PM

» Over There from Over Here from Abracadabrah

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 3:35:44 PM

» Over Where? from The Cool Blue Blog
In October of 2004, the Annenberg Public Policy Center did a survey of the attitudes of military members. One of the questions they asked What was your primary reason for joining the military? Of enlisted personnel who served in Iraq, [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 30, 2005 1:20:51 PM

» "Over there" reactions from Airborne Combat Engineer
A number of milbloggers have posted about the first episode of the Fox series Over There. Check out their comments (and the comments others left) at the links below (which I'll be building), and pls. give yours as a comments. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 30, 2005 3:27:03 PM

» "Over there" reviews from Airborne Combat Engineer
A number of milbloggers have posted about the first episode of the Fox series Over There. Check out their comments (and the comments others left) at the links below (which I'll be building, gradually), and pls. give yours as a [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 30, 2005 3:32:07 PM