« Still A Traitor | Main | Dear Soldiers... »

Mercenary Army Or Pompous Academia?

Posted By Blackfive • [July 25, 2005]

This NY Times op-ed is really another indicator of academia's distance from main-stream American society.  Stanford History professor David M. Kennedy writes about our mercenary army.  He is as clueless as he is pompous.

The Best Army We Can Buy
By DAVID M. KENNEDY
Published: July 25, 2005

THE United States now has a mercenary army. To be sure, our soldiers are hired from within the citizenry, unlike the hated Hessians whom George III recruited to fight against the American Revolutionaries. But like those Hessians, today's volunteers sign up for some mighty dangerous work largely for wages and benefits - a compensation package that may not always be commensurate with the dangers in store, as current recruiting problems testify.
<...>
Some will find it offensive to call today's armed forces a "mercenary army," but our troops are emphatically not the kind of citizen-soldiers that we fielded two generations ago - drawn from all ranks of society without respect to background or privilege or education, and mobilized on such a scale that civilian society's deep and durable consent to the resort to arms was absolutely necessary.

Leaving questions of equity aside, it cannot be wise for a democracy to let such an important function grow so far removed from popular participation and accountability. It makes some supremely important things too easy - like dealing out death and destruction to others, and seeking military solutions on the assumption they will be swifter and more cheaply bought than what could be accomplished by the more vexatious business of diplomacy....

Okay, I'm going to violate a few language rules on this blog...so I'll put those in the Extended Section.

David M. Kennedy is probably the biggest horse's ass I've ever read in the New York Times (and that's saying something). The. Biggest. Horse's. Ass.

Where does he get his data?

THE United States now has a mercenary army

Based on the criteria that they are paid a pitiance and have some benefits?  Here is the Heritage Dictionary's entry on "mercenary".

1. Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain.
  2. Hired for service in a foreign army.

You'd think a Stanford prof would know how to open a dictionary.  Well, then, based on Kennedy's criteria, show me an army that is not a mercenary one.

In order to add insult to injury he adds this.  Why does the 3rd Infantry Division (BTW, the MOST decorated division in WWII) have a re-enlistment rate 250% over projections?  Those re-enlistments came from soldiers IN Iraq, too.

Is Kennedy questioning the patriotism of those serving now or those who served over sixty years ago?  I know more than one military officer or sergeant who could stand to make a lot more as a civilian...I know quite a few former officers and sergeants that are searching for ways to go back to the military.

Kennedy definitely believes that the military is disjoined from society.  Maybe those in Palo Alto don't get it, but I challenge Kennedy to go to the Midwest, the South or anywhere else other than the coasts and see what people say about the military.  Or what the military men and women have to say about them.

And why is it that the military, if so disconnected, are so admired and respected?  Why respected more so than smug academic hacks like Kennedy?  Maybe he's just jealous...

I think this made me more angry than any other statement.  He thinks it's easy for anyone to deal out death.  How would he know?

Ask the professor to tell that to the Soldiers and Marines that took Fallujah or made the Thunder Run to take Baghdad.  He insults every combat Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.

This op-ed at least makes one point more glaringly obvious to me (although I bet most of you knew this already)...

David M. Kennedy shows how disconnected academia is from main-stream society.

Update:  Just received an eloquent and touching email from a spouse that was a little upset with the professor (and rightly so).  Her husband put off his career as a Registered Nurse to be a combat medic with the Cavalry in Iraq.

Received another email from a Chief Warrant Officer in Iraq.  He's a psychologist in civilian clothes but an intel chief in uniform.

Update 2:  Ron sends Professor Kennedy's email addres.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Mercenary Army Or Pompous Academia? :

» History Professor Displays His Supreme Bias from Technicalities
Blackfive has a post about Stanford history professor David Kennedy's oped in today's New York Times. According to Mr. Kennedy, we now employ a "mercenary army". THE United States now has a mercenary army. To be sure, our soldiers are... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 25, 2005 3:24:55 PM

» I thought academe was were learning takes place.... from Media Lies
....but apparently I was mistaken. David Kennedy, a Stanford history professor, writes a dumbfounding op-ed for the NY Times.

By [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 25, 2005 5:46:36 PM

» Eight-Year-Old More Intelligent Than Columnist from Les Enfants Terrible
I would submit that our military is far less removed from civil society than...say...David Kennedy. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 25, 2005 6:58:22 PM

» George Washington, Mercenary. from Kalroy Was Here
As far as I can tell the guy's full description of America's "mercenary" military means that The Revolution was fought entirely by mercenary troops, after all, they were all paid volunteers. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 25, 2005 10:57:33 PM

» NYT Op/Ed Disgrace from Confessions of a Pilgrim
David Kennedy wrote this piece of crap for the NYT Op/Ed page today. Blackfive posted his comments here and a reader of his left Mr. Kennedy's email address. I couldn't resist. Sir, I am quite certain this isn't the last of the notes you will... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 25, 2005 11:05:22 PM

» Academic Moonbat: US Army a Bunch of Mercs! from RadioActive Chief
The Best Army We Can Buy Firstly, a BIG H/T to Blackfive for this one. This NYT OpEd has got to be about the biggest load of crapola that the Chief has seen in quite a while, and that's saying... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 26, 2005 1:57:51 AM

» Meanwhile, the left craves the draft from Posse Incitatus
Captain Ed has a great takedown of a typically moronic New York Times Op Ed by Stanford Professor David Kennedy in favor of a military draft. [Remind us never to send our kids to Stanford to study history. They will [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 26, 2005 11:55:20 AM

» Definition of a Soldier from Techography
What I Learned In The Service… I hear a lot of people talking about how the military members are mercenaries. I hear a lot of people insinuating that we are government assassins I hear how some folks think we are such evil people they torment our f... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 27, 2005 2:12:46 AM

» Hessians on the Rampage from Mudville Gazette
Blackfive looks at another example of the New York Times' developing meme: the military is increasingly distant from mainstream American society. Says Stanford history professor and mainstream American David M Kennedy:Leaving questions of equity aside,... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 10:43:25 AM

» Hessians from The Indepundit
DAVID M. KENNEDY does not know anyone serving in the military; of this I am certain. Because if he did, he would never be able to write claptrap like this: The United States now has a mercenary army. To be... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 3:52:02 PM

» Why is it that the only ones who want to bring back the draft are liberals? from Kadnine
Could it be because their heyday, their crowning achievement, their day in the sun was during Vietnam? Could it be that they're feeling just wee bit miffed that they're out of power these days? [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 28, 2005 8:42:55 PM

» In Honor or Dishonor from Dadmanly
Citizen Smash, along with Greyhawk and Blackf... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 8:53:30 AM

» Chris Matthews: We were once ‘insurgents’ too! from Sister Toldjah
The NYTimes' David Kennedy likened today's military to Hessians ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 8:56:41 AM

» Academic Bias? from Alpine Summit
It's a no-win situation for the military with liberals. They're either forced to serve their country against their will and how could this happen? Or, they're only in it for monetary gain. [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:00:25 PM

» US Military Mercenary? I Think Not. from Searchlight Crusade

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:13:28 PM

» US Military Mercenary? I Think Not. from Searchlight Crusade

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 1:14:31 PM

» Who is David Kennedy and why is he calling us merc from ROFASix
Who is David Kennedy? Reading on the blog Indepundit that he had written an article that declared today’s professional American Army akin to German Hessians, I was curious. After reading what he wrote, “The Best Army We Can Buy,” in... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 29, 2005 9:34:52 PM

» Hessians on the Rampage from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Jul 30, 2005 9:16:44 AM

» Hessians on the Rampage from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Jul 30, 2005 9:22:07 AM

» Professor David Kennedy from fredschoeneman.com
I never took a class from Professor Kennedy while at Stanford. Perhaps I'll change that if I ever go back. But for now, to keep my essay writing skilz sharp, I thought I'd edit his recent op-ed piece in the... [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 1, 2005 12:29:04 AM

» Professor David Kennedy from fredschoeneman.com

Tracked on Aug 1, 2005 12:33:23 AM

» Professor David Kennedy from fredschoeneman.com

Tracked on Aug 1, 2005 12:35:38 AM

» More On Mercenaries from Dr. Weevil
Legacy Media is developing a nasty habit of calling American soldiers “mercenaries”. Last month it was David M. Kennedy in The New York Times, who used the M-word and made an extended parallel between Americans in Iraq and Hessians in the Am... [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 30, 2005 10:46:04 PM

» Some thoughts from KYLEBUN
[Read More]

Tracked on Nov 13, 2005 11:07:27 PM

» Hessians on the Rampage from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Feb 10, 2006 3:58:14 PM

» US Military Mercenary? I Think Not. from Searchlight Crusade
david M. Kennedy, a Stanford professor who's nose is so elevated he evidently cannot read a dictionary, has a piece in the NY Slimes on our 'mercenary' army. From American Spirit Political Dictionary: mercenary - a person who offers his... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 9, 2007 2:38:44 PM