« "Pull!" - Specialist Jeff Campbell | Main | Marine Recruiter And the MSM Part Two »

Durbin Falsely Demonizes His Own Country

Posted By Blackfive • [June 17, 2005]

Just got back from a whirlwind business trip to the great state of Michigan.  It's been a full-bore, no time for rest week.  Yesterday morning I was shaving and had the TV on and heard what Dick Durbin said about Gitmo.

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control.  You would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings."

Unbelievable.  That's my Senator, the second senior Democrat in the Senate.  He's comparing the treatment of terrorists in Gitmo to the death camps of the Nazis (6 million murdered), the Cambodian Killing Fields (1.5 million murdered) and the 25 million or so laborers worked to death in Stalin's Gulags.

Comparing the treatment of the 20th Hijacker and others to millions innocents murdered by evil regimes is so completely twisted and bizarre.

I think that Durbin is making the same mistake the Democrats made with Kerry - they are underestimating the military/veteran voting block.  Illinois has many National Guardsmen and Reservists deployed (or just returned from deployment).

Where are the moderate Democrats on this?  I haven't read about any reaction from Sen. Lieberman or Gov. Richardson or any others.  No reaction from the former Presidential candidates (Dean, Kerry, Edwards, etc.) either.

So here is the first response I received from a veteran via Seamus.

June 15, 2005
The Honorable Richard Durbin
United States Senate
332 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D. C. 20510
Dear Senator Durbin,
As a combat aviator veteran of Vietnam and retired Naval Officer, I must express in the strongest possible terms my disappointed in your condemnation and vilification of our military personnel serving in Guantanamo Bay. Your comments from the Senate floor, supposedly heard off the record, speak further to you and your party’s true disdain and dislike of our military heroes. Comments like yours tear the hearts out of our fighting hero’s just as surely as physical wounds received in combat. In my perspective, this is no different from those who yelled “baby killers” to our troops when we return home in the 60’s and 70’s.
My anger, frustration and disappointment in you as an elected senator is your comparison of treatment received by the terrorist killers in detention in Gitmo to those innocent victims murdered by the Nazis during WWII. How dare you even mention the mass murders in Cambodia?
Would you say these same comments, so vividly expressed recently on audiotape, to the likes of Jessica Lynch? To the Pearle family? To those families of the Jews murdered in Europe? That was bad treatment! I believe there are still a few elected officials in congress that could explain “bad” treatment to you.
By the way, ask our tank commanders about air conditioning in their war fighting vehicles. Or our Marines & Soldiers in their hummers! Have you ever been enclosed in the confines of a war fighting ship? We treat those damn terrorists better than we treat our fighting heroes. What a stupid, uninformed and ridiculous statement.
In the past I have given you the benefit of the doubt as a courtesy to a large and proud family of Illinois voters who has supported you and the democrats in the past.

I will pledge that efforts are underway to cancel any support to you and your party. We don't want any apology. As you know, they are only words.
Sincerely,
F. R. Koenig
Captain, USN Retired
[Edit:  Removed Captain Koenig's address]
The efforts are underway and you can help.  Contact his office and express your dissatisfaction with his comments.  Like Captain Koenig, make sure to identify his remarks with the Democrat Party since no Democrat is speaking out against his remarks.
Contact your Senators as well.

Update:  Uncle Jimbo wants to take Dick Durbin on a tour of the repressive regimes...

Update 2:  I've been copied on about two dozen letters to Senator Durbin's office.  And many have emailed about their conversations with Durbin's staff - one emailed that Durbin's staff believe that they are the ones that provided armor for troops in Iraq....keep it going.

Call the Springfield office of Senator Dick Durbin at  (217 ) 492-4062 and ask for Suzanne Palmera.  Talk to her about Durbin's Nazi comments.  Feel free to post a synopsis in the Comments below.
Update:  The Political Teen has audio of Newt Gingrich's reaction to Senator Durbin on the Sean Hannity radio show.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Durbin Falsely Demonizes His Own Country:

» Are You Kidding Me? from Eddies in the Space-Time Continuum
Irresponsible comments by clowns like Durbin can do nothing but lower the moral of our brave men and women fighting for freedom around the world, and flame the fires that are driving the terrorists to kill Americans nearly every day. Someone really ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 10:27:30 AM

» The Dick Rolls On from Technicalities
Our illustrious Senator Dick Durbin has captured a bit of attention in the last few days over his remarks about the treatment of prisoners at Gitmo... "If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 11:38:25 AM

» No, Dick, It's Just You... from The Jump Blog
Senator Dick Durbin's remarks of Wednesday afternoon have been much discussed over the past two days, so I was reluctant to enter the fray. I try not to comment on things that are being covered adequately elsewhere, especially if they are important, be... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 12:27:01 PM

» Blog Roundup On Dick Durbin from Common Sense Runs Wild
People say a picture is worth a thousand words; Beth at My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy has a great photo up of Dick Durbin. It sums up my feelings about the sleazy senator quite well. Michelle Malkin has a great [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 1:02:50 PM

» Turbin Durbin Reactions from ninme
BlackFive - Durbin Falsely Demonizes His Own Country Dear Senator Durbin, As a combat aviator veteran of Vietnam and retired Naval Officer, I must express in the strongest possible terms my disappointed in your condemnation and vilification of our mili... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 1:45:21 PM

» Blog Roundup On Dick Durbin from Common Sense Runs Wild

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 3:01:42 PM

» Blog Roundup On Dick Durbin from Common Sense Runs Wild
People say a picture is worth a thousand words; Beth at My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy has a great photo up of Dick Durbin. It sums up my feelings about the sleazy senator quite well. Michelle Malkin has a great... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 3:04:33 PM

» Blog Roundup On Dick Durbin from Common Sense Runs Wild

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 4:29:22 PM

» Blog Roundup On Dick Durbin from Common Sense Runs Wild

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 4:55:31 PM

» I Shouldn't Have to Hang My Head in Shame... from The Daily Brief: The Home of the Best Bloggers On The Web!
when a Marine looks at me and asks, "He's yours isn't he?" when the Marine is talking about my Senator from the State of Illinois, Dick Durbin. I've always been a rather proud son of Chicago Illinois...until this week. For the first time in my life,... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 5:14:42 PM

» Calling my senators… from Amendment XIX
… an exercise in disillusionment I tend to sometimes have an idealistic (naive) view of our elected officials. I really think that our elected representatives are there to represent us. Their primary concern should be to properly represent and serve... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 5:26:35 PM

» Are You A Liberal? from The Blue State Conservatives
Well, how I missed this from Dean Esmay in May will remain a mystery. I'll bet you think you know the answer to that. Thick Durbin sure isn't, I'll tell you that much.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 6:42:10 PM

» Are You A Liberal? from The Blue State Conservatives

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 6:42:34 PM

» Gitmo Dick Update II from Mudville Gazette
I wondered when this Illinois MilBlogger would respond. He's got contact info for "Gitmo Dick" Durbin too. Durbin offers this comment on his home page:“More than 1700 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq and our country’s standing in the... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 6:44:55 PM

» Military personnel, active duty and retired.... from Media Lies
....are weighing in on Dick Durbin's comments. (I refuse any longer to call him "Senator". He doesn't deserve the title.) Suffice it to say there is a lot... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 6:46:25 PM

» Looking At This Backwards from Les Enfants Terrible
Bloggers, and conservative pundits have been trying to explain Turban's idiocy by stating the perfectly obvious, that U.S. actions at Guantanamo are not camparable to Pol Pot, or Stalinist gulags, or Nazi death camps. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 8:31:05 PM

» Looking At This Backwards from Les Enfants Terrible

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 8:32:35 PM

» (Mis)Underestimated Again from baldilocks
Blackfive, BMIB* and Chicago resident, comes back from a business trip and comments on the Durbin remarks:I think that Durbin is making the same mistake the Democrats made with Kerry - they are underestimating the military/veteran voting block. Illinoi... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 9:27:07 PM

» Durbin Falsely Demonizes His Own Country from OldController
Meanwhile Durbin, finding himself at the bottom of a very deep pit, keeps on digging. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 9:50:33 PM

» Durbin Must Go from Flopping Aces
I believe Comrade Durbin should step down, actually better yet he should be recalled. The people from Illinois should demand a recall of this piece of trash. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 9:57:55 PM

» Are You A Liberal? from The Blue State Conservatives
I ask what Dean Esmay asks: Are you a liberal? I'll bet you think you know the answer to that. Thick Durbin sure isn't, I'll tell you that much.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2005 10:36:21 PM

» What a Dick Durbin - Part Deux from Brutally Honest
A bonafide blogswarm is under way and there's no better target than the Dick Durbin (D-Ill), one of the sorriest Senators ever to walk the halls of the U.S. Senate. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 8:22:26 AM

» What a Dick Durbin - Part Deux from Brutally Honest

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 8:24:45 AM

» Gitmo Dick Update II from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 11:38:30 AM

» What a Dick Durbin - Part Deux from Brutally Honest

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 12:30:10 PM

» Listen To Your Uncle Jimbo, Dick. from Just Some Poor Schmuck
Blackfive has a collection of military reactions to Dick Durbin's comparison of them to Nazis, KGB and Communist executioners. Uncle Jimbo has a little moral equivalency tour for Dick(head) Durbin and his whining asshats. Friday Freefly- Dick Durbin's ... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 4:20:17 PM

» Listen To Your Uncle Jimbo, Dick. from Just Some Poor Schmuck

Tracked on Jun 18, 2005 4:21:40 PM

» Gitmo and Gulags. from Far East Cynic
I've watched the ongoing controversy about Guantanamo prison camps with a bit of nostalgia ( I was there several times to fly counter-drug operations) and bewilderment. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 7:36:16 AM

» Have You no Sense of Decency, Sir, at Long Last?1 from No Oil for Pacifists
Moonbats will be Moonbats--normally safely ignored. Not so Senate Dems' #2 man--I share the widespread "outrage" and disgust over Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill) drinking the "BusHitler" Kool Aid. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 11:34:50 AM

» POW Blasts Durbin from The Indepundit
THE FOLLOWING LETTER was sent from retired Navy Commander Paul Galanti to Senator Dick Durbin. Galanti is one of my father's Annapolis classmates, who spent seven years as a prisoner-of-war in the infamous Hanoi Hilton. Senator Durbin,As one who was... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 9:09:09 PM

» POW Blasts Durbin from The Indepundit

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 9:58:27 PM

» POW Blasts Durbin from The Indepundit

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 10:10:52 PM

» POW Blasts Durbin from The Indepundit

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 10:47:45 PM

» Dick Durbin, Er...this is uncomfortable. from Mark in Mexico
Dick Durbin discovers that some other people, besides our Nazi, Pol Pot-tish gulag managers at Gitmo, torture people, too. Durbin probably will ask for a report on the number of cells at Gitmo which are equipped with electric wires, a noose, handcuff... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 19, 2005 11:40:24 PM

» Aid And Comfort To The Enemy from Sons of the Republic
wanted to wait until a transcript of Senator Dick Durbin's remarks comparing US troops to Nazis was made public until I commented on them. I wanted to make sure what I heard was what I heard. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 20, 2005 7:24:33 AM

» Piling On from Smoke on the Water
Smoke on the Water has never been known to be a link-flinging site, but the last week's wealth of insight and wisdom out there just cries out for recognition. It's time for a certain U.S. Senator to resign, immediately. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 20, 2005 6:54:33 PM

» Love Letters from Hard Starboard
UPDATE: Double H found two more gems.... POW Blasts Durbin Senator Durbin, As one who was held in a North Vietnamese Prison for nearly seven years and whose definition of torture and bad treatment is somewhat at variance with yours, I depl... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 20, 2005 8:47:30 PM

» Letter From Soldier Says It All… Censure Durbin. from Myopic Zeal
You must read this letter from a soldier, an open letter to all U.S. Senators, concerning Durbin… This letter was first posted by BlackFive as a comment and reproduced by the Weekly Standard’s Hugh Hewitt. Senators, I am currently depl... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 21, 2005 9:01:17 AM