« Help The Troops This Memorial Day | Main | A New (to me) MilBlog »

From the Earth,
From the Hill,
From the Sky,
All Is Well,
Safely Rest,
God Is Nigh

When Taps is played at dusk, it has a completely different meaning than when Taps is played during the day.  No soldier really wants to hear it played during daylight.  For when the bugle plays Taps in the daylight...that means a soldier has fallen...There is a belief among some that Taps is the clarion call to open the gates of heaven for the fallen warrior and letting them know to "Safely Rest"...

Of course, Memorial Day is about remembering the sacrifices that our military men and women have made over the last 229 years.    We are still a young nation, but one that has made many sacrifices to remain free.  We should also take time to remember the families who have lost loved ones.

I have focused on just a few of the fallen over the last few years.  I've lost three good friends during the War on Terror.  And I write about the others to ensure that we don't forget their sacrifices - I do that for me as much as for anybody.

I can't speak for the friends of the many others who have fallen, but for Mat, Cooter, and Mike, I can say this -

It's important to remember them, and it's just as important to enjoy yourself this weekend.  To spend time with your family and friends.  Have a beer while grilling Wisconsin brats (Schram-bo!) in the backyard while watching your kids play tag.

What better assurance to them they did not die in vain?

Enjoying your freedom and understanding it's value is the best way to honor the sacrifices of my friends.

That's the way they'd want you to spend Memorial Day.

Remembering them, and being a good dad and husband and an American is the best way that I can honor their memory.

If you feel that you should do more, you may want to take a look at one of my favorite organizations - the Special Operations Warrior Foundation - which helps care for the families of Special Operation soldiers who have died in the line of duty (combat, training, etc.).  Primarily providing for educational needs, SOWF also provides financial assistance in the form of grants for families.

If you would like to do more, click here for information on Caring for the Defenders.

I'll close with this heartfelt letter, written by Rick Kennedy, that I received via Seamus about Taylor Prazynski - a Marine who recently was buried at Arlington.

On Saturday morning May 21st I flew to Washington, D.C to meet my daughter Mary with grandchildren Calista and Lindsey, and her husband Joe Teller to drive with them to Chesterfield Virginia to attend a ballet recital for Callie that evening. Joe and Mary were in Washington for the burial services of Lance Corporal Taylor Prazynski USMC the 20 year old son of Joe’s cousin John Prazynski. Taylor was killed by enemy fire in Fallujah on May 9th while serving in combat with the 3rd Battalion, 8th Regiment, and 2nd Marine Division. Mary and Joe, along with 50 other family members attended the burial service for Taylor on Friday at Arlington National Cemetery, and when I met them they remained emotionally overwhelmed and forever moved by the elegant display of military reverence, and efficiency at Arlington. They were deeply saddened by the loss of this young Marine.

Earlier in the week Taylor’s body arrived at the Greater Cincinnati Airport by commercial jet. All passengers were instructed to remain on the plane until Taylor’s body was removed by a contingent of Marines. A military helicopter followed the Marine vehicle as it motored to the funeral parlor. Police and fire trucks were stationed at the overpasses and along the highway and saluted at Taylor passed by. At the funeral parlor no civilian was allowed to touch the body. The Marines prepared the deceased...A Marine color guard followed by a rider less horse accompanied Taylor’s body down Ohio Highway 4 for funeral services at Fairfield High School gym. Over 1500 people were in attendance of the funeral service at the school where the young Marine graduated in 2003, and played football and ran track. Pastor Dave Workman of the Vineyard Community Church presided. He gave a sterling tribute to this fallen hero that gave his life to his country. The pastor praised Taylor for his work with the church’s youth group, and his volunteer work with a multiple-disabilities class while in high school.

At Arlington on May 20th, the seven pall bearers dressed resplendent in the Marine dress blues uniform marched with the flag draped casket with military precision. When they reached the gravesite they abruptly raised the casket above their shoulders for 30 long seconds, giving the fallen Marine salute, and then rested the casket on its conveyor belt support over the grave. The military chaplain in civilian clothes gave the last rites, and presented the family Taylor’s posthumously awarded Purple Heart Medal.

All seven Marines removed the American Flag from the casket. They raised the stars and stripes above the casket pulling the flag rigid like a drum. Then they tightly folded the flag step by step in a triangle with the ends tucked firmly in place. One of the Marines did an about face and presented the flag to the Marine Sergeant standing alone to the rear of the casket, and saluted the flag.. The Marine in charge carrying the flag proceeded to the seat of the father John Prazynski. The Marine knelt down and bowed his head and presented the flag to the grieving father as the final gesture of sympathy and appreciation by the United States Marine Corps for the brave service of this young Marine.

Seven Marines standing away from the proceedings fired their rifles in three volleys representing a 21 gun salute, and you could hear muffled screams of sorrow from the youth in attendance as a lone bugler in Marine dress blues played the sad haunting sound of “Taps’ that echoed across the green rolling plains of Arlington on to the endless stream of white stones in this section called” Iraqi Freedom”. This was the Marines way of sending a signal to God to open the gates of Heaven for the arrival of [Corporal] Prazynski who gave his life for his country and our fight against terror throughout the world.

Remember Them.  And have a great Memorial Day.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Opening the Gates of Heaven:

» MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND: HONOR THE TROOPS from Michelle Malkin
Blackfive: Opening the gates of heaven Mudvile Gazette: Sacred words Photo of the day: Maj. Mark Bieger... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 2:46:50 PM

» This Memorial Day stop to remember who fought and from The Pink Flamingo Bar Grill
Blackfive one of my favorite spots to check out news on the military is running some terrific articles about those marvelous young people who have given their all to insure that your children and mine sleep safe at night. Do him the honor of visiting... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 2:59:17 PM

» Memorial Day from Stryker Brigade News
"Not only are they commemorated by columns and inscriptions, but there dwells also an unwritten memorial of them, graven not on stone but in the hearts of men." -- Pericles (c. 600 B.C.E.) Our coverage of Memorial Day continues... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 3:32:30 PM

» Memorial Day Link from Right Hand of God
I'm sure this won't be the only link we post for Memorial Day, but it's a good one to start on. Blackfive, while a common link among bloggers, isn't yet a daily read for me, but it's getting there. I haven't read much on his site, but I'm pointing... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 3:46:59 PM

» Remember The Fallen from Righty in a Lefty State
Monday the 30th is Memorial Day, set aside to honor the memories of fallen U.S. service men and women [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 3:49:36 PM

» Remember... from Sons of the Republic
This weekend, across the fruited plain and on both coasts, summer will officially start. Back yard BBQ's (even the one at Cordeiro Manor - if I can get it to work) will be fired up. Much carousing and festivities will take place... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 5:15:59 PM

» Why Memorial Day? from Sierra Faith
Blackfive helps us remember why.... [Read More]

Tracked on May 27, 2005 5:17:18 PM

» Daily Dish from The Cool Blue Blog
Memorials Honoring the fallen heros of past and present wars on Memorial Day is a thing that is not exclusive to service members present and retired, but there is no doubt that they, and the family members of the fallen, [Read More]

Tracked on May 28, 2005 9:51:08 AM

» Taps from Balance Sheet
Blackfive has a lot of moving posts in his comments on Opening The Gates of Heaven. Go read. A friend of mine is manning that gate. Say hi to Mike for me. Also from Blackfive are the lyrics to Taps:... [Read More]

Tracked on May 28, 2005 11:13:45 AM

» Taps from Balance Sheet

Tracked on May 28, 2005 11:15:24 AM

» So Help Me God from Stop The ACLU
Now, as you remember the fallen, just keep in mind as you enjoy your barbeque, pic-nic, or whatever you and your family will be doing that the ACLU is ever vigilant. Think about this: While the ACLU attacks the Boyscouts for having the word "God" ... [Read More]

Tracked on May 28, 2005 5:36:14 PM

» Some Early Memorial Day Thoughts from The Noonz Wire
I haven't finished organizing my thoughts about what I'd like to write for Memorial Day. Until then, go and read Blackfive's "Opening The Gates of Heaven". [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 7:23:04 AM

» Memory - 2005 from TacJammer
[This post will remain up top through Monday.] In some peoples' opinions, there is a certain nobility associated with serving in the armed forces, regardless of the service performed. Perhaps this is so. I served, but my contribution in the... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 11:47:12 AM

» 2LT Cowherd, Final Roll Call. from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..
This is the final chapter of last year's post. To keep in synch, read the post above this if you haven't already. "First Sergeant, Call the Roll." Lieutenant Leonard Cowherd... Lieutenant Leonard Cowherd... Lieutenant Leonard Cowherd... "First Sergeant... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 12:41:15 PM

» War And Remembrance from GM's Corner
This is not about national news, partisan bickering, stupidity of government, comedy (oh, wait, is that the same thing?) or any other post I have done. This is about a boy and his dad. I'm was the boy and this is about one of my heroes, my Dad. Forgiv... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 1:09:00 PM

» Memorial Day from Banter in Atlanter
For Memorial Day I send you to The Barking Moonbat Early Warning System for a little education about The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I have had the honor to see the tomb and the changing of the guard in [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 8:39:53 PM

» Memorial Day from Banter in Atlanter

Tracked on May 29, 2005 8:40:50 PM

» Stories for Memorial Day from Defense Industry Daily
"I have focused on just a few of the fallen over the last few years. I've lost three good friends during the War on Terror. And I write about the others to ensure that we don't forget their sacrifices - I do that for me as much as for anybody. I can't... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 10:16:51 PM

» Memorial Day, 2005 from Winds of Change.NET
Blackfive and Mudville Gazette have their posts and roundups today. As a gesture of respect and gratitude to our American readers and team members, so we we.... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 10:52:51 PM

» Memorial Day, 2005 from Winds of Change.NET

Tracked on May 29, 2005 10:54:54 PM

» Memorial Day-Thank you, and welcome home from My Newz 'n Ideas
Tomorrow is Memorial Day. At 3 pm, the nation will take one minute out of the year for a moment of silence to reflect on all the sacrifices made to preserve our freedoms. I think we should do this more often, but I hope you join me tomorrow at 3 pm, wh... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 11:03:05 PM

» Iraq Report, 30 May/05 from Winds of Change.NET
MAY 30/05 TOPICS INCL: Operation Lightning; Zarqawi's fate; Operation Squeeze Play; the insurgency grows smarter; prayers for al-Zarqawi; reconstruction highlights; the death penalty returns to Iraq; the Wolf Brigade; Carnival of the Liberated; Tariq A... [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2005 11:09:36 PM

» Memorial Day. from On The Third Hand
Today is the day we honor those who paid the final price to keep us free. They've left us a debt we can never repay. All we can do is promise to carry that torch of freedom onward. Here are some posts on Memorial Day that I hope you will read: Memor... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 6:11:43 AM

» Communion of the Fallen from Legacy Matters™

This Memorial Day For Marines, Taps is the call to God to open up the gates of Heaven says Blackfive.  At the Mudville Gazette, we are reminded every time we visit that "Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 8:07:14 AM

» Memorial Day 2005 from Outside The Beltway
President Bush’s Memorial Day Radio Address This Memorial Day weekend, Americans pay tribute to those who have given their lives in the service of our nation. As we honor the members of our Armed Forces who have died for our freedom, we also h... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 8:37:15 AM

» Memorial Day, 2005 from Winds of Change.NET

Tracked on May 30, 2005 9:14:55 AM

» MEMORIAL DAY from INDC Journal
(Photo: INDC) Revisit last year's photo-rich coverage of the dedication of the World War II Memorial, Part One and Part Two. (Photo: INDC) And make sure to read Blackfive's advice on how to celebrate Memorial Day, as well as... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 9:33:45 AM

» MEMORIAL DAY from INDC Journal
(Photo: INDC - Larger image) Revisit last year's photo-rich coverage of the dedication of the World War II Memorial, Part One and Part Two. (Photo: INDC) And make sure to read Blackfive's advice on how to celebrate Memorial Day,... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 9:42:29 AM

» Reading 'Round the Web from Democracy Project
As you would expect, many blogs have both excellent posts, along with loads of links, to mark Memorial Day. Blackfive reprints a moving letter about a Marine killed May 9 in Iraq. He advises those of us who remember such... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:01:20 AM

» Memorial Day from The Indepundit
SATURDAY, my friend Wayne and I joined Da Goddess, Little Dude, and hundreds of boy and girl scouts for a Memorial Day event at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery. Our mission: to place an American flag on every grave site in... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:01:43 AM

» Memorial Day from The Indepundit

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:10:25 AM

» http://www.adustylife.com/blog/archives/2005/05/_today_is_a_bea.html from A Dusty Life
Today is a beautiful Memorial Day in Silver Spring, MD. I've missed out on the Hepzibah Triathlon for the first time in quite a while, and I missed watching the Indy 500. Those two things have been a good... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:30:29 AM

» Happy Memorial Day; THANK YOU and God Bless from Scared Monkeys
A special thank you to the many men and women of our armed services that have paid the ultimate sacrifice to their country so that we all are afforded the rights and liberties that make us the greatest nation on earth. Thank you to those also who ar... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:34:46 AM

» Memorial Day from A Dusty Life

Tracked on May 30, 2005 11:35:13 AM

» My thanks from MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
   It is, of course, Memorial Day. On this day, we honor those who have given all for duty, honor, and country, and we thank those who have and still are serving our country. Let's do something more. Please find an organization t... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 1:27:18 PM

» Memorial Day from panda ponders
Memorial Day honors all men and women who have served our country...... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 10:22:46 PM

» DOING MY PART, SIR. from Cold Spring Shops
At Blackfive, some Memorial Day advice. [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 10:25:45 PM

» Memorial Day Prayer from My Newz 'n Ideas
I pray your Memorial Day was a happy and healthy one. I also pray for our men and women who were unable to join us either because they are on duty risking their lives, shuffling paper (that is important, too), or they just happen to be with the Father.... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2005 10:37:21 PM

» Memorial Day from SlagleRock's Slaughterhouse
"And when this ceremony is concluded, and all of us have gone on our way, the Honor Guard will keep watch over the Tomb. Every hour of every day, on the coldest nights, in the hardest rain, there is a... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2005 11:43:12 AM

» A Few Final Thoughts on Memorial Day from Soldiers' Angel - Holly Aho
Last Friday I was listening the Sean Hannity's radio show. They were 'interviewing' ordinary people, adults, on whether or not they knew what Memorial Day was for, along with a few easy history questions such as who fought in the Civil War. Some of the... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2005 11:43:43 AM

» Memorial Day from SlagleRock's Slaughterhouse

Tracked on May 31, 2005 11:48:43 AM

» Memorial Day from The Gantry Launchpad
Reposted from May 31, 2004, on what I think about on Memorial Day: I'm taking the time to remember my father today. He fought in the Second World War as an infantryman. He was "just" one of the mudfaces. Like many veterans, he almost never talked about... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2005 1:51:11 PM

» Memorial Day from The Gantry Launchpad

Tracked on May 31, 2005 1:53:17 PM

» Memorial Day from The Gantry Launchpad

Tracked on May 31, 2005 1:54:57 PM

» Arlington National Cemetery, John Wesley Yoest, USN, BMCS from Reasoned Audacity: Politics in Real Life
Every time we've made the left turn onto Eisenhower Drive, and passed through the imposing brick gates of Arlington National Cemetery, I've been overwhelmed with emotion. Family members of those buried at Arlington National Cemetery are given a special... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 3, 2005 1:51:29 PM

Tracked on Jun 4, 2005 7:34:32 AM

» Arlington National Cemetery, A Memorial Day Tribute from Jack Yoest
A cross post from Charmaine at Reasoned Audacity, last year. Every time we've made the left turn onto Eisenhower Drive, and passed through the imposing brick gates of Arlington National Cemetery, I've been overwhelmed with emotion. Family members of th... [Read More]

Tracked on May 18, 2006 11:21:48 AM