« Red2Alpha at Fort Apache | Main | Bloggers Favorite Columnists »

Godspeed Steel Six

Posted By Blackfive • [May 05, 2005]

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - COL (ret) David Hackworth

Colonel (ret.) David Hackworth (affectionately known to Soldiers as "Hack" and used the call sign "Steel Six") has passed.  His life was marked by incredible heroics on battlefields in Korea and Vietnam and the Pentagon and Capital Hill.  Throughout his career and life, he loved Soldiers.  He was 74 years old.

I first read About Face when I was 20 and thinking about becomming an Officer.  LTC Art was a mentor of mine - a Ranger Platoon Leader in Viet Nam - and thought the world of "Hack".  LTC Art was a legend and had been transformed by Viet Nam.  He had all of his junior leaders read About Face and discuss it.  He wanted us idealistic youngsters to be prepared.  Thanks to him, many of us were prepared.

This memorial is from Military.com:

...Col. Hackworth spent more than half a century on the country's hottest battlefields, first as a soldier, then as a writer, war correspondent and sharp-eyed critic of the Military-Industrial Complex and ticket-punching generals he dismissed as "Perfumed Princes."

He preferred the combat style of World War II and Korean War heroes like James Gavin and Matthew Ridgeway and, during Vietnam, of Hank "The Gunfighter" Emerson and Hal Moore. General Moore, the co-author of We Were Soldiers Once and Young, called him "the Patton of Vietnam," and Gen. Creighton Abrams, the last American commander in that disastrous war, described him as "the best battalion commander I ever saw in the United States Army."...

While I didn't always agree with Hack, I always respected him.  He had a tough life.  He had many, many bitter fights.  He loved Soldiers - every one of us - and did his best in uniform and out (as a retired Colonel) to protect us.  More from Military.com

..."Hack never lost his focus," said Roger Charles, president of Soldiers for the Truth. "That focus was on the young kids that our country sends to bleed and die on our behalf. Everything he did in his retirement was to try to give them a better chance to win and to come home. That's one hell of a legacy."...

Godspeed Hack.  Day Is Done, Gone the Sun, From the Earth, From the Hill, From the Sky, All Is Well, Safely Rest, God Is Nigh...

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Godspeed Steel Six:

» TAPS from Mudville Gazette
Via email:Washington, D.C., May 5, 2005 – Col. David H. Hackworth, the United States Army's legendary, highly decorated guerrilla fighter and lifelong champion of the doughboy and dogface, ground-pounder and grunt, died Wednesday in Mexico. He was 74 y... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 4:40:12 PM

» Col. David Hackworth 1930-2005 from The One Soldier's Story Project Blog
Col. David Hackworth, author of many non-fiction books about his time in the Army and his impressions of the Army of today, died of cancer today at 74. He is someone whose books potential contributors to The One Soldier's Story Project should read, no... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 5:53:25 PM

» David Hackworth, Vietnam vet and military analyst, dies at 74 from Cadillac Tight
"Hack" Hackworth has passed. HARTFORD, Conn. -- Retired Army Col. David Hackworth, a decorated Vietnam veteran who spoke out against the war and later became a journalist and an advocate for military reform, died Wednesday in Mexico, where he was re... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 7:21:27 PM

» COL David Hackworth (1930-2005) from Jeff Quinton - Backcountry Conservative
I was surfing around Memeorandum (more here) when I noticed a PRnewswire link discussing the death of Colonel David Hackworth. A guestbook is linked for condolences on the announcement on Hackworth.com. Phil Carter and The Poorman have more. I had... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 7:54:22 PM

» David Hackworth-May God give you peace and rest. from Far East Cynic
Throughout his life David Hackworth was a controversial figure. I have a link to his Soldiers for Truth web site on this blog. For the most part, I enjoyed reading about the issues he raised, even if he did not agree with all of his opinions. What I ... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 8:13:13 PM

» COL David Hackworth (1930-2005) from Jeff Quinton - Backcountry Conservative

Tracked on May 5, 2005 8:24:10 PM

» David Hackworth-May God give you peace and rest. from Far East Cynic

Tracked on May 5, 2005 8:29:27 PM

» COL David Hackworth (1930-2005) from Jeff Quinton - Backcountry Conservative

Tracked on May 5, 2005 9:15:07 PM

» one of my old time heros has died from a geezer's corner
David Hackworth, soldier, author, journalist, and lately an embarrassment, has died. he seemed so vital that it's hard to believe he was so sick. i have been a hack fan for many years, reading everything in print by the guy i could get my hands on. [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 9:15:39 PM

» Blackfive Roundup from Chapomatic
Blackfive has all sorts of news today. The Old Warrior, David Hackworth, has died. We've lost a ferocious fighter. Brigadier Janice Karpinski, who said some things in the whirlwind of the post-Abu Ghraib mess that I won't discuss here, has los... [Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2005 9:38:39 PM

» Col. David. H. Hackworth, 1930-2005 Legendary U.S. from ROFASix
Hack has moved on to Fiddler's Green. I am going to miss Hack. He and I shared a on and off email relationship over the last 10-15 years. I carried his Vietnam Primer with me to Vietnam. I think most Infantry lieutenants did. I wrote him about "About... [Read More]

Tracked on May 6, 2005 12:08:07 AM

» TAPS from Mudville Gazette
Via email:Washington, D.C., May 5, 2005 ? Col. David H. Hackworth, the United States Army's legendary, highly decorated guerrilla fighter and lifelong champion of the doughboy and dogface, ground-pounder and grunt, died Wednesday in Mexico. He was 74 y... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 2, 2006 11:39:45 AM