« Sergeant Bozik Update | Main | The 2004 Weblog Awards »

Strangers in a Strange Land

Posted By Blackfive • [December 12, 2004]

In a comment on my trip to Harvard to be at the Global Voices OnLine Conference, I said that words can't describe the experience of meeting the brothers from Iraq the Model.  They can't.  But I'll give it a shot.

I'm sitting in Logan right now (6am EST) trying to download and understand all of the information from the last 24 hours.

First, Jeff Jarvis (BuzzMachine) sums up a bit about the brothers.

The conference was led by Ethan Zuckerman and Rebecca MacKinnon.  They are both brilliant (both in the cool sense and the intelligent sense) and Ethan ROCKED as the host/moderator.  I have a lot of respect for those two.

I met Omar and Mohammed 22 hours ago in the hotel lobby.  They were with Kerry from Spirit of America who sponsored their trip to the conference (and mine as well - THANKS SOA!).  Naturally, the first thing that I said was, "Hey, do you guys want to get some coffee?"

We found our way to the conference.  While waiting for things to kick off, the brothers had a smoke outside (having to smoke outside is intriguing to them), we talked about Harvard.  We joked about a school in America being old after a few hundred years, but in Iraq, a few millenia earns an institution that title.

Often you hear/read about people chosing to read blogs based on which bloggers they would rather have a beer with...Omar and Mohammed are no exception to that rule.

Once the conference began, I looked around.  Sitting on my left was Jeff Jarvis.  Yeah, I was sitting next to Jeff Jarvis...never thought THAT would ever happen.  On my right, Armed Liberal.  In the seats in front of me were Omar and Mohammed.  Behind me was Jim Hake, Tim Oren, and several boy geniuses.

Hey, over there.  That's Dan Henninger from the WSJ.

Over across the way was Hoder, Jeff Ooi (the guy can write), Joi Ito, Isaac Mao and many, many others.  All politics aside, the bloggers at the conference are some of the best and brightest thinkers (especially about blogging as a communication tool).

Oh yeah, the Soros people were everywhere too (as they were sponsors of the conference).

With company like that, I wondered what kind of reception a MilBlogger might receive.

As much as I was a fish out of water, the brothers from Iraq the Model must have felt like strangers in a strange land.  They were the first up to bat and I would follow...

Gotta catch my flight to Chicago - Part 2 will be posted later where you find out what's in store for Iraq, whether there are thousands of brain dead soldiers being hidden from the media, and if Tim, Marc, Mohammed, Jeff, Jim, Omar, Kerry, Donovan, Janice and I really did tie one on...

Update 12-13-04:  Here is Part 2.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Strangers in a Strange Land:

» Another link fest! from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..
First though - Happy Birthday: 1806 Stand Watie, a Cherokee, and Brigadier General, C.S.A., d. 1871. How many of you knew the Confederates raised a brigade of Native Americans? And, while I'm not doing a Confederacy=Nazi Germany comparison here, has... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 12, 2004 10:59:52 AM

» Another link fest! from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..

Tracked on Dec 12, 2004 11:05:37 AM

» Blackfive reports.... from Media Lies
...on the Harvard blogging conference attended by Omar and Ali from Iraq the Model. More to come later. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 12, 2004 12:21:36 PM

» Iraq the Model - Live from David Earney | dave's not here
Blackfive shares and account of his meeting with the men behind Iraq the Model. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 2:00:42 AM

» Global Voices Online from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 8:57:33 AM

» Global Voices Online from Mudville Gazette
BlackFive has been rubbing elbow With a lot of influential bloggers, at Harvard. Go read his adventure here and here man, spend a few months in Iraq and you miss out on everything!... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 9:03:21 AM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette
THE POST EXCHANGE: I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. I've taken the liberty of linking to some of their... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 10:15:40 AM

» Iraqi Bloggers Come to America from The Indepundit

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 5:32:13 PM

» Iraqi Bloggers Come to America from The Indepundit
BLACKFIVE has an after-action report from Harvard's Global Voices OnLine conference. CONGRATULATIONS to Blackfive for his well-deserved nod in the MilBlogs category of WizBang's 2004 Weblog Awards. Some squid named SMASH came in second, followed by for... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 13, 2004 5:48:21 PM

» 'Tis the Season from 2Slick's Forum
Be sure to read about Blackfive's wild weekend here and here- and Smash has the ultimate round up. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 14, 2004 1:04:32 PM

» The Future of Democracy - Stangers In A Strange Land Part 2 from A Day After Yesterday

The Future of Democracy - Stangers In A Strange Land Part 2

"People are hungry to speak out.  They are just waiting for a way to express their ideas.  We are going to find...thousands of bloggers expressing their thoughts f [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 15, 2004 2:16:59 AM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 15, 2004 9:01:36 AM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 15, 2004 9:04:57 AM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Dec 15, 2004 9:45:01 AM

Tracked on Dec 24, 2004 3:33:50 PM

Tracked on Dec 24, 2004 4:14:28 PM

Tracked on Dec 24, 2004 4:40:43 PM

Tracked on Dec 24, 2004 4:45:00 PM

Tracked on Jan 2, 2005 12:18:46 PM

» MilBlogs Archive - Dec, 04' from Mudville Gazette
    12/25/04 All Mrs G wants for Christmas... ...is a soldier coming home. For those troops that are reading blogs to get closer to home, our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love and miss you. Merry Christmas, Keep Safe,... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 8:21:22 AM