« Sergeant Bozik - Update 6 - Love and War | Main | RESCUE! - Picture of the Week »

Every Care Package Is Important

Posted By Blackfive • [December 30, 2004]

To top off my son’s email he was able to call yesterday!!! I've just been in absolutely the BEST mood. Not only did he call, but we were able to talk for a long time and it was so wonderful. He shared so many stories and had my laughing so hard. He wanted me to thank all his "Moms" and to let ya'll know that he and his fire team received their care packages and they were a wonderful morale booster. He said all of them had the Channel 11 footballs in their care package and they were out in the open area throwing the footballs around and other Marines were asking, "Hey where did ya'll get the footballs?" My son said at first they would all respond, "The Houston Marine Moms!". He said after awhile they were all laughing and they would just say "Our Moms".

He said they call the footballs their WMD's. I asked why and he said that when the lights go out at night they all throw them really hard at each other and just have the best time. He was laughing so hard sharing these stories with me. He had me rolling.

The rest (about Marines ingenuity in using female care packages) is in the Extended Section...

He told me how wonderful the care packages were and wanted me to tell everyone thank you. He said that one guy we’ll call “Marine X” did get a girl care package and everyone was giving him a hard time. My son said, "Marine X got some really nice smelling lotion and everyone really likes it, so everytime he goes to sleep they steal it from him." I told my son I was really sorry about the mistake, and if he wanted I would send Marine X another package. He told me not to worry about Marine X because everytime I send something to him Marine X thinks it's for him too. He said when my husband and I sent the last care package Marine X came over to his cot picked up the box, started fishing through it, and said, "What'd we get this time?" )

My son said they had the most fun with Marine X’s package. He said he wasn't sure who we were sending the pack to, but the panties were size 20, and he said one of the guys got on top of the humvee and jumped off with the panties over his head and yelled, "Look at me, I'm an Airborne Ranger!!!!". He said one of the guys attached the panties to an antenna and it blew in the wind like a windsock. He said it entertained them for quite awhile.

Then of course, they had the tampons. When he brought this up my imagination was just running wild, but I let him continue. My son said they had to go on a mission and Marine X wanted the chapstick and lotion for the trip. He grabbed a bunch of the items out of his care package and got in the humvee. As luck would have it he grabbed the tampons, and My son said everyone was teasing him about "not forgetting his feminine hygiene products". My son said things were going well, and then the convoy was ambushed. He said a Marine in the convoy was shot. He said the wound was pretty clean, but it was deep. He said they were administering first aid but couldn't get the bleeding to slow down, and someone said, "Hey use Marine X’s tampons". My son said they put the tampon in the wound. At this point my son profoundly told me, "Mom did you know that tampons expand?" ) "Well, yeah!". They successfully slowed the bleeding and got the guy medical attention. When they went to check on him later the surgeon told them, "You guys saved his life". If you hadn't stopped that bleeding he would have bled to death. My son said, "Mom, the tampons sent by the Marine Moms by mistake saved a Marines life." At this point I asked him, "Well what did you do with the rest of the tampons?" He said, "Oh, we divided them up and we all have them in our flak jackets, and I kept two for our first aid kit".

I am absolutely amazed by the ingenuity of our Marines, and can't believe that something that started out as a mistake ended up saving someone's life. My sister said she doesn't believe in mistakes. She said that God had a plan all along. She believes that female care package was sent to Marine X to save our Marine. Either way ladies our efforts have boosted the morale of many Marines, provided much needed items for our troops, AND saved the lives of a Marine! God bless each of you for your efforts and hard work, and God bless our Marines!

Wendy

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Every Care Package Is Important:

» Okay, this is freekin' AWESOME.... from PPK Blog (Priest, Prophet, King)
God has blessed us with postively Macguyver-esque heroes. Every Care Package Is Important Wendy is a Marine Mom who's son is Iraq right now.  Below is an email to her friends about the care packages they have been sending  to Iraq: He told me... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 12:50:25 PM

» Okay, this is freekin' AWESOME.... from PPK Blog (Priest, Prophet, King)

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 12:50:56 PM

» Unintended consequences: USMC edition from chattr +a -V
Some Marine Corps moms in Houston sent CARE packages to the guys in Iraq, but 'Marine X' got a female package. Blackfive has the story: Then of course, they had the tampons. When he brought this up my imagination was just running wild, but I l... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 2:23:18 PM

» How a small gift of kindness save lives on the front lines from sheepdog.blog-city.com
Blackfive, Paratrooper of Love, has a story about care packages people give via programs such as Soldier Angels and Anysoldier.com.For those of us that give its a touching story to know something so small can help so much. If you'd like to give the u [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 5:07:08 PM

» Letter explains, Every Care Package Counts! from cinomed.blog-city.com
Via: BlackfiveA letter from a "Marine Mom" detailing what the Marines do with their carepacks.Some seriousness, but a lot of comedy about the Marine X that gets a females' package instead.Excerpt:My son said they had the most fun with Marin [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 5:22:33 PM

» BLACKFIVE: Every Care Package Is Important from The Pink Flamingo Bar Grill
Some Marine Moms I know will be happy to read this story...even as I know that they are sad about their sons being away from home. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 11:17:07 PM

» Dual-Use Item from baldilocks
Oh, there are so many jokes that can come from this excellent story. Here’s mine: That’s why we call them plugs. (Thank to Q and O) [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 30, 2004 11:39:31 PM

» Yankee Ingenuity from Yippee-Ki-Yay!

A platoon of Marines. A misdirected "girl" care package. An ambush. Blackfive tells how a "Marine Mom" made a mistake that saved a Marine's life.
A tip of the Kevlar helmet to Baldilocks.

[Read More]

Tracked on Dec 31, 2004 6:48:01 AM

» Back away from the coffee.. from it comes in pints?
...before clicking here. Oh, lordy lordy, what I could do with this story.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 31, 2004 10:10:16 AM

» Back away from the coffee.. from it comes in pints?

Tracked on Dec 31, 2004 10:11:39 AM

» CAREful what you send from Media Lies
Blackfive has the greatest story from a Marine mom about CARE packages, Marines' playing around with package items in ways you'd never imagine and how a "mistake" saved a Marine's life. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 31, 2004 10:48:33 AM

» Last Linky Love of the Year from Not Exactly Rocket Science
First off, I have been extremely remiss, GrandRounds from Monday is here. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 31, 2004 4:00:36 PM

» New Uses for Tampons from Little Miss Attila
Blackfive has an amazing story about a male Marine who accidentally got a care package meant for a female, and how it ended up saving another Marine's life. Apparently, the fact that tampons expand helps them to stop the bleeding... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 2, 2005 12:10:19 PM

» THE MARINE AND THE TAMPON from Michelle Malkin
In cased you missed the story from Blackfive over the holidays, it's incredible.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 2:39:09 PM

» Tampon Saves Life In Iraq from Say Anything
Absolutely amazing. My son said they had to go on a mission and Marine X wanted the chapstick and lotion for the trip. He grabbed a bunch of the items out of his care package and got in the humvee. As luck would have it he grabbed the tampons, and M... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 3:10:42 PM

» Tampon saves Marine's life from Left & Right
From BlackFive via Michelle Malkin.Then of course, they had the tampons. When he brought this up my imagination was just running wild, but I let him continue. My son said they had to go on a mission and Marine X... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 3:36:04 PM

» Marine Moms: The Mother of Invention from Conservative Dialysis
This story over at Blackfive's blog will completely amaze you. I'm not gonna spoil it by quoting it here, you'll have to go read the whole thing. Oh yeah, the standard drink alert definately applies!... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 3:57:47 PM

» Marine Moms: The Mother of Invention from Conservative Dialysis
This story over at Blackfive's blog will completely amaze you. I'm not gonna spoil it by quoting it here; you'll have to go read the whole thing. Oh yeah, the standard drink alert definitely applies!... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 3:58:56 PM

» Tampon Saves Marine's Life from From The Hart
If you don’t believe it, take a hike over to Blackfive’s, Every Care Package is Important. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 4:19:20 PM

» ...Saved the Life of a US Marine from I-Magery: A Family Blog
More proof that God works in mysterious ways! A feminine care package ended up in a male marine's hands, and the tampons in it ended up saving a life... hat tip to Blackfive via Michelle Malkin Then of course, they... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 6:31:20 PM

» Mistaken care package item saves marines life from BrainWacker Blog
A feminine hygiene product ends up saving someones life. This reminds me of a funny story involving my artist wife. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 7:43:23 PM

» The Marines's MacGuyver-like Ingenuity from Daily Inklings
From Blackfive via Michelle malkin, guess what's going to be included in the next Iraq care package I'm sending? [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 8:37:43 PM

» Expanding the benefits of this... from Drink this...
or, Plug and play save this... or, God sees to it that we sometimes make mistakes and then He makes the most of this... BLACKFIVE: [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 10:13:13 PM

» Expanding the benefits of this... from Drink this...

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 10:17:20 PM

» Marines, Tampons and Providence? from David Limbaugh
Please read this encouraging story from Blackfive about the innovative use of tampons, mistakenly picked out of a care package by a Marine. (Hat Tip: Michelle Malkin.)... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 3, 2005 10:43:04 PM

» Every mistake counts from The Black Republican
After years of complaining about the expansion of the co-ed military into places women ought never have to go, I'm finally happy to see something great come of the social engineering fiasco. Semper Fi, Marines! (stovepipe hattip: Malkin)... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 12:44:53 AM

» Every mistake counts from The Black Republican

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 6:48:29 AM

» Feminine Hygiene Products for Freedom from Cocked and Locked
I just had to link to this, hat tip to Michelle Malkin. An incredible story from or brave Marines in Iraq.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 7:55:41 AM

» Feminine Hygiene Products for Freedom from Cocked and Locked
I just had to link to this, hat tip to Michelle Malkin. An incredible story from our brave Marines in Iraq.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 7:57:06 AM

» Tampons And Panties For Male Marines from Diggers Realm
You just have to read about a male Marine who accidentally was sent a care package meant for a female soldier. Those wacky Marines out there saving our ass. The story itself ends on a serious note and I consider... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 9:11:10 AM

» Daily Rant from MatthewMaynard.net
Marines continue to amaze me with their ingenuity. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 10:49:25 AM

» . . . For Freshness from House Of The Dog
I'd love to believe this story going around the blogosphere, but this has GOT to be a new urban legend: BLACKFIVE: Every Care Package Is Important He told me how wonderful the care packages were and wanted me to tell [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 11:09:59 AM

» . . . For Freshness from House Of The Dog

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 11:11:02 AM

» CARE Package Mistake Saves Marines Life from Vista On Current Events
Marine Corp Mom's sent CARE packages Iraq. Well Marine X got a female CARE package by mistake, but all was not lost. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 12:45:10 PM

» Bloggery Reformation from IMAO
I have a lot of projects I'm working on now, so I'm going to have to streamline my blogging so... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 12:53:04 PM

» God never makes mistakes... from JackLewis.net
Michelle Malkin links to a BlackFive entry about a Marine's care package. Warning: don't let your kids read over your... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 2:04:49 PM

» God never makes mistakes... from JackLewis.net

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 3:05:27 PM

» God never makes mistakes... from JackLewis.net

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 3:12:47 PM

» The Lord works in Mysterious ways from From the Hawk's Nest
Read this fascinating story posted on Blackfive of a Care package gone awry... great reading! [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 4:06:34 PM

» A Conversation You Don't Want To Enter Late from ninme
“My son said they put the tampon in the wound. At this point my son profoundly told me, ‘Mom did you know that tampons expand?’” From Every Care Package Is Important at Blackfive. Read the whole thing. It’s hah-larious.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 4, 2005 4:54:26 PM

» MacGyver, USMC from Shot In The Dark
It starts out as a typical military SNAFU story: Marine in Iraq gets a care packate intended for a female Marine, complete with, er, feminine products. And it's there that the story gets interesting.... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 5, 2005 10:32:14 AM

» THE TAMPON STORY from Sideline SquawkBox
Via Link: BLACKFIVE: Every Care Package Is Important. This one has to be read to be believed. The ingenuity of our young Marines in the heat of battle is simply...incredible. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 6, 2005 8:20:56 AM

» THE TAMPON STORY from Sideline SquawkBox
Via BLACKFIVE: Every Care Package Is Important. This one has to be read to be believed. The ingenuity of our young Marines in the heat of battle is simply...incredible. [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 6, 2005 8:26:20 AM

» A letter from one of my Anysoldier.com contacts from sheepdog.blog-city.com
Letter is below, retyped out until I can scan it at work. This is from a�second lieutenant�in Iraq, asking for items for his enlisted mobilized infantry unit.�Name has been removed until I get the contact approval to use it:Dear <sheepdog's and [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 6, 2005 6:30:23 PM

» . . . For Freshness from House Of The Dog
EDITED TO ADD: Apparently this story is true! I guess I'm just a natural skeptic.I'd love to believe this story going around the blogosphere, but this sure sounds like an urban legend: BLACKFIVE: Every Care Package Is Important He told [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 9, 2005 10:52:58 AM

» Fun Facts from The Pryhills
Kotex was first manufactured as bandages, during W.W.I. (which brings to mind this post by Blackfive where he shares the story of Marines on the battlefield making good use of a c... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 21, 2005 3:11:13 PM

» Fun Facts from The Pryhills

Tracked on Jan 21, 2005 3:19:06 PM

» Furniture actions in oneonta new york from Furniture pages
Furniture is the collective term for the movable objects which support the human body (seating furniture and beds), provide storage, and hold objects on horizontal surfaces above the ground... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 26, 2006 5:51:41 PM

» Male/Female Names, Dog Names from Names Database Blog
Weblog (Blog) Journal: Is open to all male/females names; dog enthusiasts, ... Our dog names database contains the names of real golden retrievers from around the world... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2006 11:48:50 PM

» Antiviral treatment for avian flu from Medical Blog
Antiviral drugs for influenza may not be effective against avian flu, reported three newspapers (19 January 2006). These articles were based on a systematic review, which found that antiviral drugs eased symptoms of influenza but did not prevent infect... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 4, 2006 7:07:59 AM