« No Matter What Happens Today | Main | The Sudan Crisis Gets Worse »

Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised

Posted By Blackfive • [November 02, 2004]

1. The line was huge. In the past, I have never had to wait. There has never been a line. Now, the wait was a least forty five minutes.

2. The two books containing voter registration and voter signatures were considerably smaller than before. In the past, the voter books were about five inches thick, and now they were about 1/4 of their usual size.

I was not in the books. I've voted in every election in my district since moving there in 2000. I recently moved but hadn't changed my voter registration (as advised by the County election board) since the move was outside of the timeframe to change voting districts.

I have two forms of ID - a driver's license and a Firearm Owner ID. I also have a faculty ID for the UofC and a corporate ID from where I work. I had my Voter Registration Card. I also had a paycheck with my address on it.

There were many people who were also not in the voter books. The guy next to me was screaming about "Fraud!". There were four ladies who were crying. Another guy was yelling about his rights. The election judges were freaking out.

The election judges (certainly inept and under-prepared for the onslaught) didn't have any provisional ballots.

They turned everyone (that was not in the books) away.

All ten replied, "Yes."

"Did you vote in the primary?"

Nine, "Yes."

It's impossible to know if the Republicans were removed from the book. But this is Chicago...where the dead count more than the living.

I'll let you know what happens in a few hours. I'm calling my friend who's an editor for the Tribune and another who's an Assistant State's Attorney.

Update 3:30PM CST: Visited the Cook County Board of Elections. There were about fifty people complaining about the same thing. I received the following information:

1. There were hundreds of complaints from the 42nd Ward (my ward), but more from all over the county. Think about that - how many people do you think that were not allowed to vote that did not complain about disenfranchisement.
2. Provisional Ballots were sent to all precincts. More were recently sent to the 42nd Ward locations.
3. I was instructed to go back to my precinct and vote by provisional ballot.
4. After I asked about ten times (all the while sympathizing with the person about how hard her job must be today), I was told that there was a foul up in the County and there could be thousands and thousands of problems in Cook County Precincts.

So, I schlepped back to my precinct, waited another hour in line, had to talk to the same Mensa Candidates about my voter registration (I had my voter card, for pete's sake!) - the best part was when the judge asked me if anyone in the voting area could vouch for my residency and about twenty people shouted at him that they knew me and to give me a damn ballot. FINALLY, after about three and a half hours since first attempting to vote, I was able to vote by provisional ballot.

There were about ten people around me that also had to endure the same crap to vote by provisional ballot - all claimed to be registered voters and residents. One was the Condo Association President of the very building that we were in, yet the judge wanted more proof.

Here's my receipt for voting on a Cook County/Chicago ballot.

In case you were wondering, it was worth it.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised:

» Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised from Uptown Girl
I just read this over at Blackfive: Here in Chicago (at 521 N. McClurg Court) where I had to vote today, I noticed two things: 1. The line was huge. In the past, I never had to wait. There has never been a line. Now, the wait was a least fort... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 1:17:16 PM

» Election Live Blogging from Techography
With any serious luck this will be the last political post on this site for quite a long time. Be Sure to read the post often during the course of your day. I will be providing both Links and stats by the hour. Its gonna be a lo... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 1:22:25 PM

» Voting Irregularities from Dummocrats
We'll try to update this thread throughout the day with reports of voting irregularities. If you see any that aren't posted here, please email BOTH [email protected] and [email protected] with the updates. Thanks. From Drudge: VOTES FOUND ON MACHI... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 1:42:19 PM

» Blackfive gets disenfranchesed from Dummocrats.com
Blackfive gets disenfranchesed [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:00:03 PM

» Problems with voting (Part I) from CommentaryPage.com
The dreaded “D” word: Disenfranchised. Instapundit linked to a disenfranchised blogger in Chicago. As I left on my way to the County Election Commission to file a complaint, I asked ten different people who were also denied a vote because... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:24:45 PM

» Disenfranchisement in Chicago from Mindless Bit Spew
[Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:29:24 PM

» http://www.joshuapoje.com/archives/2004/11/blackfive_is_sa.html from Joshua J. Poje
BLACKFIVE is saying he's been disenfranchised, and that he isn't alone. This popped out to me because his polling place (521 N. McClurg Court) is just a block north of mine (400 N. McClurg Court). For what it's worth, I... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:37:41 PM

» Shady voting stuff from Uncle Sam's Cabin
The shadiness has begun. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:42:47 PM

» Oops from The Commons at Paulie World
BLACKFIVE: Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised He should have known better than to register as a Republican in Chicago. Chicago's Democratic Machine is legendary. (think 1962)... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:42:51 PM

» Republicans Purged From The Rolls In Chicago? from Let's Try Freedom
BlackFive is reporting that he got turned away at the polls. Not a good story. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:44:27 PM

» Nothing New from triticale - the wheat / rye guy
Blackfive reports that the people who voted in the recent Republican primary were stricken from the rolls at his polling place in Chicago. This has long been standard practice, if not always so massive. Twentysome years ago we put a... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:52:23 PM

» Blackfive's Given The Heave-Ho from Acorns from an Okie
Interesting article in Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised. Blackfive, a voting Republican, is missing from the voter's rolls: There were many people who were also not in the voter books. The guy next to me was screaming about "Fraud!". There were four... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 2:57:05 PM

» Problems in Chicago. from seanbonner
Black Five was turned away... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:00:32 PM

» Election blogging from The Cool Blue Blog
Watch this post throughout the day for updates: Drudge reports that voting started early in Philladelphia; even before the polls officially opened. A man wearing a John Kerry T-shirt and President Bush mask is arrested for screaming at voters in [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:03:51 PM

» DISENFRANCHISED? from JunkYardBlog
Read Blackfive's strange tale.... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:06:46 PM

» My voting experience from Solomonia
I was up early (for me) this morning so I decided to go over and vote. The voting place is in a church right down the street. At 7am, business was brisk at the polls. Short lines, but busy, busy,... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:10:06 PM

» Escalation Update from netcynic.com
The big three cheating stories thus far all seem to be aimed at the Democrats, though none is confirmed: votes were found on a machine in Philly before the polls opened, and thirty vans which were to transport Republican voters in Wisconsin had their ... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:11:01 PM

» The Big Day from baldilocks
I won’t be blogging the election today; too many other duties to attend to, including voting, chauffeuring my aunt to a couple of places and attending an Election Bash at a certain Bear Flagger’s humble abode later on. However, other [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:11:36 PM

» Open Thread: Election Blogging And Commenting from La Shawn Barber's Corner
I'm on my way to the polls. I will try to update this post as often as I can. In the meantime, keep everyone up to date with the latest information on the returns. May they be happy returns! :) 3:32 p.m. --- Well, that was spectacularly uneventf... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:11:37 PM

» GOP Voters Removed From Chicago Records? from HOG ON ICE
Looky It happened to Blackfive. Honestly, why bother showing up at the polls if you're a Republican in Cook County?... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:15:23 PM

» Election 2004 from Michael Williams -- Master of None
Let's use this post for all election-day comments. I'll be updating it as stuff happens. There are other, non-election posts below. I'm so excited about the election tomorrow I can hardly sleep. I'm standing by my prediction that Bush will... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:19:07 PM

» Blackfive Disenfranchised from Poisoning Pigeons
Here in Chicago (at 521 N. McClurg Court) where I had to vote today, I noticed two things: 1. The line was huge. In the past, I never had to wait. There has never been a line. Now, the wait was a least forty five minutes. 2. The two... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:24:27 PM

» Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised from Aaron's Rantblog, aka Aaron the Liberal Slayer
From Chicago: As I left on my way to the County Election Commission to file a complaint, I asked ten different people who were also denied a vote because they weren't in the book, "Are you Republicans?" All ten replied, "Yes." "Did you... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:30:11 PM

» Voting - Chicago Style from Weekend Pundit
BlackFive relates his account of his attempt to vote today in Chicago. Imagine his surprise when he finds out he's been stricken from the voter... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:30:56 PM

» Color me unsurprised from Blogs for Bush
The city of Chicago lives down to its historically low standards in this election cycle. Blogger Blackfive has been disenfranchised. Updates are anticipated.... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:33:52 PM

» Chicago Election Fraud? from fredschoeneman.com
This frightens me: They turned everyone (that was not in the books) away. As I left on my way to the County Election Commission to file a complaint, I asked ten different people who were also denied a vote because... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:36:08 PM

» Two For President John Kerry from Christian Grantham
As an 80 something year old voter waddled from her voting booth here in Virginia, a smiling 60 something year old poll worker stopped her to make sure she got a sticker for voting. The older voter stopped, slowly turned... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:39:58 PM

» It’s Raining, It’s Pouring from From Behind the Wall of Sleep
Oh, it’s wet. Heavy rain alternating with belligerent dampness. But it’s not dampening voter turn-out. The polls are fuller than I’ve ever seen them. Normally, it takes me two minutes [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:40:33 PM

» Republicans Kept from Voting in Chicago from Bryan Strawser's Weblog
In Chicago, Blackfive has been kept from voting - and interestingly enough - ten of the others who were kept from voting were all Republicans. They turned everyone (that was not in the books) away. As I left on my way to the County Election Commission... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:47:50 PM

» Fraud in Chicago? from dangerous liberty
Read Blackfive's Vote Is Disenfranchised - a report from a retired Major in Chicago. Has voted in all elections in recent years but was purged from the rolls. Saw many other Republicans purged from voter lists, despite having a record of recent votes i... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 3:51:46 PM

» Disenfranchisement in Chicago from Mindless Bit Spew
[Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:00:13 PM

» Let's get it on! from The Blind Scholar
My liveblogging of election 2004 begins! [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:03:00 PM

» DISENFRANCHISED? from JunkYardBlog
Read Blackfive's strange tale. (Via Instapundit)... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:04:22 PM

» When Does the Drinking Start? from Chicagoist
Chicagoist is totally getting an ulcer today. We're drinking herbal tea and listening to soothing music, and still, our heart-rate is at hummingbird level. Just kidding about the tea and the music—what do you think we are, hippies? We're pounding Die... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:05:12 PM

» REPUBLICANS SHUT OUT IN CHICAGO from The Spitball Defense
[via Instapundit] Republicans in Chicago are being denied their right to vote. There were many people who were also not in the voter books. The guy next to me was screaming about "Fraud!". There were four ladies who were crying. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:13:40 PM

» Clicking my heels together from Redsugar Muse
Ugh. I want to go home and hide with my blanket, my dog, a bottle of wine, and the remote. I can’t take the wondering anymore. I’m really excited, but the stories about Republican voter transportation having their tires slashed,... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:14:55 PM

» The Government is Always Trying to Keep the Blackfive Down from IMAO
Blackfive ran into some big shenanigans - possibly being disenfranchised - trying to vote in Chicago, voter fraud capital U.S.A.... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:15:50 PM

» Blog Your Vote! from anziblog v4.0
If you haven't voted already, take a digital camera with you into the booth and take a picture of your vote. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:19:17 PM

» Blog Your Vote! from anziblog v4.0

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:21:05 PM

» Disenfranchise That from Pathetic Earthlings
Bastards.... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:25:15 PM

» Blackfive Disenfranchised from I love Jet Noise
Why am I not surprised? With all the vaunted concern about "counting every vote", apparently our military votes don't matter, just as they didn't in the 2000 election. Because they're Republican: I was not in the books. I've voted in [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:43:47 PM

» Chicago: Were the Dead Vote but Republicans Can't from Sworn Enemy
What a surprise, voter fraud in Chicago sponsered by the Democrats. Blackfive gives a first hand account of being a disenfranchised Republican in Chicago. Another reason to lie and say you are a Democrat when you register to vote in the heart of en... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:46:18 PM

» Blog Traffic Tip from Jennifer's History and Stuff
How do you get a ton of traffic on Election Day without actually posting anything political or interesting? 1. Plan ahead. 2. Interview a blogger who will one day be huge. 3. Have said blogger put a prominent link to... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:46:40 PM

» Philadelphia vote fraud nabbed early from Shameless Self-Promotion
Via Bill Quick, an attempt at planting extra votes in Philadelphia was discovered today: Before voting even began in Philadelphia -- Republican poll watchers believed they found nearly 2000 votes already planted on machines scattered in heavy-minority ... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:48:21 PM

» Disenfranchised Republicans in Chi-town? from E. Strade, B.D.
Doing my part to spread the speculation, but it could be true conspiracy: http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/11/blackfives_vote.html [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:48:39 PM

» Philadelphia vote fraud nabbed early from Shameless Self-Promotion

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:49:47 PM

» Chicago: Where the Dead Vote but Republicans Can't from Sworn Enemy
What a surprise, voter fraud in Chicago sponsored by the Democrats. Blackfive gives a first hand account of being a disenfranchised Republican in Chicago. Another reason to lie, and say you are a Democrat when you register to vote in the heart of e... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:51:10 PM

» The Chicaaaaaago way from Silent Running
Well, I had fun voting, especially with the Kerry campaign guy mentioning you'd have to be drunk to vote for his candidate. As easy and amusing as my vote was, here's the other end of the spectrum - Matt at... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 4:51:45 PM

» MilBlogger Disenfranchised from The Indepundit
BLACKFIVE was turned away from the polls today in Chicago. I was not in the books. I've voted in every election in my district since moving there in 2000. I recently moved but hadn't changed my voter registration (as advised... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 5:14:14 PM

» Blackfive Disenfranchised from AlphaPatriot
I was not in the books. I've voted in every election in my district since moving there in 2000. I recently moved but hadn't changed my voter registration (as advised by the County election board) since the move was outside of the timeframe to change vo... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2004 5:43:34 PM