« Iraqis Honor The Fallen of Operation Iraqi Freedom | Main | Soldiers Are Slaves?! »

Seven Years

Posted By Blackfive • [May 30, 2004]

Tomorrow is the Seventh Anniversary of my marriage to Mrs. Blackfive. It's also Memorial Day so we are celebrating our Anniversary today because tomorrow is for remembering the ultimate sacrifices made by our men and women to keep us free.

To say that the last seven years have been a whirlwind would be an understatement.

Fate had a lot to do with our meeting. Our friends had been trying to set us up for months. My friends knew of "the perfect girl" for me. Ladies and Gentlemen, if that isn't a signal to run and hide, then I don't know what is. I enjoyed being a bachelor and had been unattached for awhile.

Her friends were telling her that I was "the man for her". She is very independent and avoided me like the plague.

Every time that I suspected that my friends were trying to get us together at a party or event, I wouldn't show up. This strategy worked for about six months.

On the return from a vacation with my friends (we were still at O'Hare Airport), I received a call about a party and we decided to go. I was so relaxed from diving in the Caymans that I neglected to check if "that girl" was going to be there.

Later that night, I was at the bar making a Bombay Sapphire Martini when this angel walked up. She was smiling and she lit up the room. She mentioned that Bombay Sapphire was her favorite gin. So I made her one of my patented "Nick and Nora" Martinis. She's the first girl that I ever met that knew who the hell Nick and Nora were.

We talked for about two minutes when each of us realized that we were "the perfect girl" and "the man for her" - that each of us were standing in front of the very person that we were trying to avoid for six months. We spent the next few hours talking about everything. She was a beautiful Southern Belle who had the best laugh I had ever heard - I wanted to spend the rest of my life hearing those laughs.

There is no way that I can describe what I felt except that it was the most overwhelming and consuming emotion I had ever experienced. It was obvious that the same thing was happening to her.

I asked her to marry me four months later, and the next eight years were, to put it simply, phenomenal.

She's the best thing that ever happened to me.

Happy Anniversary, Darling!

Anniversary

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Seven Years:

» AND I THOUGHT I WAS SAPPY from Bad Example
"Our first date was set for New Year's Eve. Our first kiss was at Midnight. I couldn't sleep for two days afterward." Matty O'Blackfive just celebrated his 7th wedding anniversary. Go read, and, when you get to the photo, explain... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 9:23:24 AM

» Beal or Something from angelweave
I have nothing to write about that someone else hasn't covered. But Brian warned me that I'd best put SOMETHING up here, so I guess I'll do some linking before I go back to cursing (or trying not to) at Starcraft. Steve of AdRants reports that Invincib... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 7:24:48 PM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette
FREE SPEECH FROM THOSE WHO HELP MAKE IT POSSIBLE THE POST EXCHANGE: I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. I've taken... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 8, 2004 3:49:04 PM

Tracked on Jun 8, 2004 3:53:22 PM

Tracked on Jun 9, 2004 1:28:40 PM

Tracked on Jun 9, 2004 3:23:49 PM

Tracked on Jun 15, 2004 12:02:11 AM

Tracked on Jun 15, 2004 12:09:09 AM

Tracked on Jun 17, 2004 1:12:57 PM

Tracked on Jun 17, 2004 3:43:36 PM

Tracked on Jun 17, 2004 3:46:57 PM

Tracked on Jun 22, 2004 2:58:01 PM

Tracked on Jun 24, 2004 11:43:22 AM

Tracked on Jun 25, 2004 3:21:43 PM

Tracked on Jun 27, 2004 7:02:54 PM

» A Wonderful Story from Tammi's World
It's the Hawks' Anniversary!!! Mrs. Grey Hawk shares with us the story of their romance. Thank you! It made me smile. I love nothing better than a good romance. I'm one of those die-hard romantics that believes in "happily ever... [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 5, 2005 6:33:17 PM