« Seven Years | Main | Photos From Iraq Soliders »

Soldiers Are Slaves?!

Posted By Blackfive • [May 30, 2004]

Courtesy of the Denver Post (sent by Dan F.) comes the most assinine column that I've ever read:

Keep our slaves safe
By Reggie Rivers

Our military is one of the last bastions of slavery in the United States. At the moment, our slaves are stuck in a combat zone, getting killed and maimed, and there's nothing they can do about it except hunker down and pray.

Yes, our slaves signed up of their own free will, but most of them were as misled about their job as the rest of us were about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

And I don't think "slave" is too strong a word to describe someone who is not permitted to quit his job no matter how dangerous it becomes or how much he hates it. For most of us, the 13th Amendment abolished slavery and guaranteed that we have the right to withhold our labor. It doesn't protect soldiers...

You can read the whole "piece". Suffice it to say that Reggie should have stuck to football.

You can contact Reggie here and Gary Moore, the Editor of the Denver Post, here.

I sent an email to Mr. Moore. Here's part of it:

It's especially offensive as you decided to publish it over the Memorial Day weekend when we are honoring the sacrifices of our men and women.

Yes, they died to allow Mr. Rivers to say whatever he wants to say. Yes, they died to allow you to publish whatever you want to publish.

And yes, they died to keep us free - and that means that I can choose which newspaper to read. I won't be reading your tactless paper ever again.

Update: Pool of Thought has more (and also sent me the link to the op-ed piece, too). And if you just keep scrolling, he's been having an email debate with Reggie Rivers.

Update: Sgt. Hook and Baldilocks have awesome posts about this letter.

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Soldiers Are Slaves?!:

» Excuse Me? from Sgt Hook
I received an email from a fellow blogger who asked that I chip in my two cents worth on a debate he is currently having with former Denver Bronco and current reporter for the Denver Post, Reggie Rivers. After reading Mr. Rivers’ article and the subseq... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2004 11:26:33 PM

» Reggie Rivers, Asshat from Backcountry Conservative
Blackfive points out this Denver Post column by former Broncos player Reggie Rivers: Our military is one of the last bastions of slavery in the United States. At the moment, our slaves are stuck in a combat zone, getting killed... [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2004 11:56:57 PM

» Reggie Rivers, Asshat from Backcountry Conservative

Tracked on May 30, 2004 11:58:43 PM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette
FREE SPEECH FROM THOSE WHO HELP MAKE IT POSSIBLE THE POST EXCHANGE: I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. I've taken... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 5:55:54 AM

» Remembering Those Who Dishonor The Day from The Laughing Wolf
I will not link to the odiferous pile of putrescence in question. Nor do I ever plan to knowingly give links or any of my hard earned money to the Denver Post and any of its advertisers. I would urge... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 10:07:42 AM

» The Ultimate Sacrifice from Wizbang
They died defending former NFL player Reggie Rivers right to be an idiot. More on the military as the last bastion of slavery controversy at Pool of Thought, Blackfive, Baldilocks, and Sgt. Hook.... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 11:26:53 AM

» Speechless from Technicalities
Yes, THIS asinine article by Reggie Rivers has left me speechless. After 24 hours of consideration, my conclusion is... Wormtongue Lives. [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 6:24:48 PM

» Reggie Rivers from murdoc online
You may have heard about the recent column in the Denver Post equating military service with slavery. If you haven't the column, called KEEP OUR SLAVES SAFE, I can sum it up in one word: Stupid. Not that there aren't... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 8:18:00 PM

» Reggie Rivers is Sergeant Hook's Bitch from fredschoeneman.com
Reggie Rivers -- Former Denver Bronco and current race baiter -- argues that our soldiers are slaves. Black five replies. So does Baldilocks. And so does Sergeant Hook. I think Hook does the best job, especially if you understand what... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 9:27:58 PM

» Putz Alert! from SmackMyBooty
Thanks Reggie Rivers. Your experience as a former Denver Bronco has not served you well in you [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 8:18:32 AM

» Putz Alert! from SmackMyBooty

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 8:20:06 AM

» Sgt. Hook from Random Nuclear Strikes

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 12:34:11 PM

» Sgt. Hook from Random Nuclear Strikes
Resents being called a slave.   The Paratrooper of Love's none to happy, either.   Update: After reading Blackfive's post, I decided to follow his lead and write to the editor of the Denver Post.  You can e-mail him at... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 12:54:32 PM

» Sgt. Hook from Random Nuclear Strikes

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 1:11:29 PM

» Nobody's Slave from The Indepundit
REGGIE RIVERS chose to mark Memorial Day by insulting the entire United States military. Our military is one of the... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 2:21:01 PM

» Remembering Those Who Dishonor The Day from The Laughing Wolf

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 2:43:45 PM

» Nobody's Slave from The Indepundit

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 3:55:26 PM

» Remembering Those Who Dishonor The Day from The Laughing Wolf

Tracked on Jun 1, 2004 4:21:13 PM

» Stupid and Offensive from From Behind the Wall of Sleep
I saw something over at Blackfive, and I wanted to share it with you: Former football player Reggie Rivers stretches facts for emphasis; in fact, he grabs ’em and pulls ’em [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 2, 2004 11:16:29 AM

» Stop Slavery Stupidity - Fight Back Smart from Anticipatory Retaliation
As you may know, former Denver Bronco and current Denver Post columnist, Reggie Rivers, has penned a most loathsome bit of crap in which he argues that serving in the military is equivalent to chattel slavery. On the Friday before... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 2, 2004 3:42:05 PM

» Stop Slavery Stupidity - Fight Back Smart from Anticipatory Retaliation

Tracked on Jun 2, 2004 3:45:28 PM

» Stop Slavery Stupidity - Fight Back Smart from Anticipatory Retaliation

Tracked on Jun 8, 2004 2:07:55 PM

» MilBlogs Memorial Day from Mudville Gazette
The MilBlogs Pond is ripe with Memorial Day posts; a fishing trip through the 70-odd Ring members (plus a couple others) world-wide yields the following catch. Hook from Afghanistan. Budachaegi chimes in from Korea. Chapomatic from "out to sea". Sarah... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 5, 2005 8:11:41 AM

» RE: Blogs - 7 from Just A Girl
1. Why do you read other blogs? Is it voyeurism? Curiosity? Are you just being nosy? All of the above, of course! Seriouslly, I read for many reasons. Some blogs I read for humor and entertainment. Some I read for current events and informatio... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2006 3:59:14 AM