« Memorial Day - Links | Main | Memorial Day - Rememberance Actions »

Memorial Day - Letter From WWII Soldier

Posted By Blackfive • [May 31, 2004]

The following letter was sent to me by someone who was the cousin of Sergeant William Erikson.

St. Louis, MO. March 1st 1947

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Erickson:

This letter will probably come as a surprise, but the notation of the date will explain. Maybe it is not the thing to do, perhaps open old wounds. Yet I feel sure that you recognize, as I do, that our loved ones live on in the impression they have made upon others.

March 1, 1945, I was awakened at 5:30 A.M. by Sgt. Erickson. We were sleeping side by side between the tracks under the tank we loved. He was William to you, but to us, he was Sergeant Eickson, the man we will ever be proud to say we knew. The sun came up shortly and the ground was covered with snow, much as today. We ate breakfast together, for I stuck close to the Sgt. I knew that big things had been cut out for us that day, and I was scared. He explained to me that after a man saw what had to be done he somehow received the courage to do it. I didn't understand exactly what he meant until several weeks later.

We moved out at 8:30 and soon passed all of the light artillery and finally got up to where there was only infantry. These moved rapidly from place to place, or stayed low on the ground, or behind walls. As we cautiously advanced, elements of the division and battalion kept pulling to the side until we, alone were in the lead. We were the lead of the lead platoon of the lead company of the lead battalion of our division and our chances were very slight. As Sgt. Erickson put it, "Well, somebody has to be out here, and I guess it's us."

We stopped within the protective walls of Berg, Germany and got out of the tank and took a smoke. Lt. Wheeler told the Sgt. to take the platoon lead and gave him the information which he sadly relayed to us, "The 78th Infantry Division has opened a drive to Cologne, and has been stopped at the hill for two days." It was heavily protected by anti-tank guns, tank destroyers and the Infantry. Over it lay Wollersheim, key city to the defense of Cologne and the Remagen Bridge (but we did not know it at the time).

By this time, I was really scared and the Sgt. said, "Zeirs, just keep your eyes and ears open and do as I have shown you and you'll come out on top." Those were his last (personal) words to me, and they are as true today as then, two years ago.

We climbed into our tank and started off when all Hell broke loose. Just before it happened, Sgt. Erickson's voice came over the wire, "Prugh, you had better close your hatch, I smell trouble." His last words were typical, his thoughtfulness of others. There are many who will never forget him.

Sincerely,
Charles Ziers

William M. Erickson, Jr., age 34, Staff Sergeant with Company C of the 19th Tank Battalion of Combat Command A of the 9th Armored Division. Having survived the Battle of the Budge, he lost his life in March 1945 when his tank was hit by artillery fire in an attack on Wollersheim, Germany, on the 9th's "drive to the Rhine."

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Memorial Day - Letter From WWII Soldier:

» MilBlogs Memorial Day from Mudville Gazette
The MilBlogs Pond is ripe with Memorial Day posts; a fishing trip through the 70-odd Ring members (plus a couple others) world-wide yields the following catch. Hook from Afghanistan. Budachaegi chimes in from Korea. Chapomatic from "out to sea". Sarah... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 5:49:20 AM

» Memory from TacJammer
[This post will remain up top through Monday, with updates as often as I find them - Russ] There have been many excellent things you should read (or which ought to be re-read) for Memorial Day this year. John of... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 9:26:31 AM

» So Many Good Memorial Day Posts from The Laughing Wolf
There is no way to list all the good posts out there. I will list a few, and may add to it as the day goes on. Kleenex alert on all. Start here with Sgt. Hook Then go here to... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 10:42:29 AM

» So Many Good Memorial Day Posts from The Laughing Wolf

Tracked on May 31, 2004 10:44:29 AM

» So Many Good Memorial Day Posts from The Laughing Wolf

Tracked on May 31, 2004 10:45:02 AM

» Memorial Day in the Blogosphere from Backcountry Conservative
A roundup other bloggers' Memorial Day posts in no particular order: My Memorial Day 2004 post. John Donovan Alphecca has a photo essay. Dean Esmay has several posts. Up for Anything Baseball Musings Freedom of Thought Arguing with Signposts Mudville... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 11:31:21 AM

» Memorial Day 2004 from Welcome to Castle Argghhh! The Home Of One Of Jonah's Military Guys.
. . . . . . . This is my Memorial Day post. It's the only post up. It's long. No other links. Just the story of 2lt Leonard Cowherd, Sarah Cerri Cowherd, and the Cowherd and Cerri families, as... [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2004 12:05:04 PM

» MilBlogs: from Mudville Gazette
FREE SPEECH FROM THOSE WHO HELP MAKE IT POSSIBLE THE POST EXCHANGE: I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. I've taken... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 8, 2004 3:49:33 PM

Tracked on Jun 28, 2004 9:46:07 AM

Tracked on Jun 30, 2004 4:43:23 PM

Tracked on Jul 2, 2004 10:15:21 AM

» MilBlogs Memorial Day from Mudville Gazette

Tracked on Jun 5, 2005 8:12:31 AM

» W3 Search Engines XML from People/Web Search
... meta-search engine, includes a submission page, searching for people and ... Alex - Alex Catalogue of Electronic texts (previously Gopher Catalog of ... [Read More]

Tracked on Mar 27, 2006 7:03:17 AM

» Think your SERPs suck? - Sue Google! from Fish SEO News
KinderStarts constitutional right to free speech by blocking search [Read More]

Tracked on Mar 27, 2006 12:56:16 PM

» mp3 and music related news and tools from mp3 downloads, mp3 download, mp3 songs
Mp3 downloads, mp3 download, mp3 songs, download muziek downloaden, mp3s, mp3 music, mp3 files, mp3 search, download music... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 3, 2006 6:39:00 AM

» Full Albums Archive from MP3 Album Finder
Enter Artist or Song or Album name to search: ... Download VA - –усска€ коллекци€ 4 «олотой шл€гер 70 х (1973 1979) mp3 ... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 3, 2006 4:50:04 PM

» MP3 Downloads, Full Albums, Latest Hits, MP3 Search from Global Media Search Engine
Big Mp3 Archive, Mp3 Search, Mp3 Albums, Mp3 Songs, Mp3 Software, Mp3 Traffic Exchange, Advertising... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 3, 2006 6:01:03 PM

» Why Aren't Drugs Tested on Pregnant Women? from overnment Has
overnment Has Approved a Clinical Drug Trial Using Expectant Moms [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 3, 2006 6:03:41 PM

» Finance Search Online: qcc insurance company from Business Finance Online
Business Finance Online Product/Service Directory. Search for business finance related products and services by browsing the directory of business finance ... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 25, 2006 9:53:08 PM

» SmartPhone Today: Everex E900 from Smartphone Reviews; Best SmartPhones
The Internet's 3rd Party information center for SmartPhone Shareware, SmartPhone Freeware, Reviews, Hardware, Discussion, and more! Updated Daily... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 27, 2006 9:13:32 AM

» Library of Congress WWW/Z39.50 Gateway from Harvard Seismology: Centroid Moment Tensor Catalog
Contents: Search Library of Congress Catalog | Search Other Catalogs | About the Z39.50 ... Library of Congress Online Catalog. Simple Search (any keyword) ... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 28, 2006 2:57:21 AM

» Italian Charms from ItalianCharms -- Search results
Italian charms has stainless links from companies by Zoppini, Boxing, ReFlorence, Puzzle, Ryry, Talexia & Unodomani... [Read More]

Tracked on May 17, 2006 5:56:59 AM