« Snooze News - Celeb Silliness | Main | Slight Correction »

Email from Participant at President Bush's Thanksgiving

Posted By Blackfive • [December 04, 2003]

7_gwb_serves-troops-thanksgiving-2003

Below is an email (via military reader "In Media Res") from a Captain in the 501st (a unit that I know well) that was at President Bush's Thanksgiving Dinner. With all the talk of fake turkey and photo ops, maybe you should hear about the President's visit from someone that was actually there:

We knew there was a dinner planned with ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. There were 600 seats available and all the units in the division were tasked with filling a few tables. Naturally, the 501st MI battalion got ourtable. Soldiers were grumbling about having to sit through another dog-and-pony show, so we had to pick soldiers to attend. I chose not to go.

But, about 1500 the G2, LTC Devan, came up to me and with a smile, asked me to come to dinner with him, to meet him in his office at 1600 and bring a camera. I didn't really care about getting a picture with Sanchez or Bremer, but when the division's senior intelligence officer asks you to go, you go. We were seated in the chow hall, fully decorated for thanksgiving when aaaaallllll kinds of secret service guys showed up.

That was my first clue, because Bremer's been here before and his personal security detachment is not that big. Then BG Dempsey got up to speak, and he welcomed ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. Bremer thanked us all and pulled out a piece of paper as if to give a speech. He mentioned that the President had given him this thanksgiving speech to give to the troops. He then paused and said that the senior man present should be the one to give it. He then looked at Sanchez, who just smiled.

Bremer then said that we should probably get someone more senior to read the speech. Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the President of the United States came around. The mess hall actually erupted with hollering. Troops bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just began cheering with all their hearts. The building actually shook. It was just unreal. I was absolutely stunned. Not only for the obvious, but also because I was only two tables away from the podium. There he stood, less than thirty feet away from me! The cheering went on and on and on.

Soldiers were hollering, cheering, and a lot of them were crying. There was not a dry eye at my table. When he stepped up to the cheering, I could clearly see tears running down his cheeks. It was the most surreal moment I've had in years. Not since my wedding and Aaron being born. Here was this man, our President, came all the way around the world, spending 17 hours on an airplane and landing in the most dangerous airport in the world, where a plane was shot out of the sky not six days before.

Just to spend two hours with his troops. Only to get on a plane and spend another 17 hours flying back. It was a great moment, and I will never forget it. He delivered his speech, which we all loved, when he looked right at me and held his eyes on me. Then he stepped down and was just mobbed by the soldiers. He slowly worked his way all the way around the chow hall and shook every last hand extended. Every soldier who wanted a photo with the President got one. I made my way through the line, got dinner, then wolfed it down as he was still working the room.

You could tell he was really enjoying himself. It wasn't just a photo opportunity. This man was actually enjoying himself! He worked his way over the course of about 90 minutes towards my side of the room. Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to shake a few hands. I got a picture with Ambassador Bremer, Talabani (acting Iraqi president) and Achmed Chalabi (another member of the ruling council) and Condaleeza Rice, who was there with him.

I felt like I was drunk. He was getting closer to my table so I went back over to my seat. As he passed and posed for photos, he looked my in the eye and "How you doin', captain." I smiled and said "God bless you, sir." To which he responded "I'm proud of what you do, captain." Then moved on.

How much more do you need to know?

We have a President worthy of leading Americans in the Guard and Reserve like Donnie and Darth and on active duty like Greyhawk and Sergeant Thor (Welcome Home!).

If the turkey had been fake and the President had been insincere, that mess hall would have been a helluva LOT quieter...kind of like the recent reception of a certain Senator...Soldiers, while not being able to fully express displeasure with politicians and leaders, have their own ways of getting the message across loud and clear.

BTW, I you want to really know Thor (and I am just begining to "know" him via the blog), read this post (it's blog-spotted so scroll down to July 28th).

Update: As if you needed more (well, hell, maybe you do if you work for the Washington Post), a reader sends this link to another story about the Bush Thanksgiving visit via a family member who was there.

Oh my god, here is another one....these things are everywhere, what the hell are the liberals thinking!

BTW, Reuters and the Washington Times have stories reporting that the dinner was in the early evening hours and not at 0500...

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Email from Participant at President Bush's Thanksgiving:

» Time to Talk Turkey from The Patriette
Blackfive has a great post about the President's visit to Iraq on Thanksgiving last week. He's posted an email from a Captain with the 501st. Anyone who reads that and still complains about the whole thing being merely a photo-op... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 1:16:59 PM

» From the Front from Mudville Gazette
Blackfive has an e-mail from a Captain who recently had a dinner with the CinC. Troops bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just began cheering with all their hearts. The building actually shook. Wouldn't be the first building... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 3:14:24 PM

» Sour Grapes from Citizen Smash - The Indepundit
PRESIDENT BUSH visited troops in Baghdad for Thanksgiving -- but one week later, efforts to put a negative spin on... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 3:14:32 PM

» The Paratrooper of Love from Random Nuclear Strikes
Indeed. Via The Mudville Gazette But, of course, we can't believe this account of Bush's visit. Since, you know, it's... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 4:38:52 PM

» Bush's Thanksgiving: From Somone Who Was There from unSecure Privacy
Blackfive has an email from a Captain in the 501st who was present at Bush's Thanksgiving visit to Iraq. The powerful email speaks for itself. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 5:55:01 PM

» Oh, So THAT'S What the "Principled" Left Is All About? from The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler
The Daily Ablution has done some digging and sums up the Mission Statement of the Loony Left in this post.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 6:20:26 PM

» ??? from Ain't Done It!
OK one more...check out the pic HERE (link via BLACKFIVE) Unless that was photoshopped, that's a SERGEANT (E-5), not a STAFF SERGEANT (E-6) -- no rocker under the stripes.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 6:25:33 PM

» For Andrew from Absinthe & Cookies (a little bit bitter, a little bit sweet)
Andrew is a concerned commenter, and when I found a link to this post over at Misha's, I felt I [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 7:52:53 PM

» The Truth Comes From Those Who Were There from Pardon My English
This is a must read post from my buddy Matt over at BlackFive. This post contains an e-mail from someone who was at the surprise Thanksgiving Day Visit by our Commander-in-Chief. I won't spoil the details of it, you just have to read it. After re... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 8:04:11 PM

» About Thanksgiving... from A Collection of Thoughts
Blackfive has a wonderful letter from an Army Captain who was at the Mess Hall when President Bush walked out to share Thanksgiving with the troops.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 8:59:17 PM

» Soldier's Email Recalls Thanksgiving from Earthly Passions
Blackfive - The Paratrooper of Love posted an email from a Captain in Iraq, who was visited by President Bush last week on Thanksgiving. This email is a must read! Here's an excerpt: Bremer then said that we should probably [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 10:56:11 PM

» eyewitness account of gwb's thanksgiving visit from Sophoristically Speaking
Blackfive has a letter from a Captain who was present when President Bush visited the troops in Baghdad for Thanksgiving. It's a must read. Excerpt: Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the President of the United States came around. The mess hall... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 4, 2003 11:31:55 PM

» More on Thanksgiving in Iraq from Now That Everyone Else Has One
Yep, nothing more than a cheap publicity stunt... (Pardon the blatantness of the sarcasm in that sentence.)... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 5, 2003 12:01:01 AM

» Thanksgiving Day Report from Iraq from The Fireant Gazette
I received this via email from a friend. I have no idea as to its authenticity. I googled it and also did a search on Daypop and turned up nothing. Read it with those caveats in mind. Update [2003-12-05]: According... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 5, 2003 5:01:46 PM

» President in Iraq from Freedom Lives
Blackfive has a letter from a soldier who was at the President's turkey dinner, good reading.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 5, 2003 7:35:34 PM

» Good News, Bad News from Feste...a foolsblog
A post from Matt at Blackfive that will make your heart swell with pride. Email from Participant at President Bush's Thanksgiving Below is an email (via military reader "In Media Res") from a Captain in the 501st (a unit that... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 5, 2003 10:22:14 PM

» no contest from Andrew's Weblog
I've read various opinions on President Bush's Thanksgiving trip to Iraq (you can probably guess what mine is) but it's hard to argue with this one. Email from Participant at President Bush's Thanksgiving... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 8, 2003 11:00:30 PM

» MilBlogs from Mudville Gazette
I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. Without further ado, here's the MilBlogs' "Greatest Hits" for this week. (Check back, as... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 9, 2003 5:46:33 PM

» Insect Menagerie (Carnival 64) from Signal + Noise
Proliferation, adaptation, and a strange beauty that takes some time to appreciate. That serves as well to describe the blogosphere as it does to describe the insects, which are among the most successful groups of animals that ever lived. So... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 10, 2003 5:49:33 AM

» Insect Menagerie (Carnival 64) from Signal + Noise

Tracked on Dec 10, 2003 5:53:53 AM

» Better Late than Never from Babalu Blog
Thanks to the Carnival of the Vanities, hosted this week at Singal + Noise, I found this great piece at Blackfive. I may be a little late in saying this but, the President of the United States is un cojonudo.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 10, 2003 8:58:02 AM

» Some Tour blogs from Tour Blog
Some Tour blogs. Archive · Blogroll · Chess · Flickr · Technorati... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 12, 2006 4:44:29 PM

» Name search from Baby Names - Search and Browse Baby Names brought to you baby
Search or Browse Girl and Boy Baby Names Meanings and Origins at Babies Online - Free services and information for new & expectant parents... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 1, 2006 2:50:06 PM