« Note to Donnie | Main | More on LTC Allen B. West »

The Warrior Caste

Posted By Blackfive • [November 18, 2003]

I have been thinking about the American Warrior Caste for a long time, now. The Warrior Caste is made up of families that serve in the military for generations.

Recently, Doc Russia mentioned it to me when I left a comment at his blog. LCDR Smash had a post in response to Professor Atlas' editorial about the widening divisions between civilians and the military. Those who continue to serve have less in common with those who don't, and this gap widens with every generation.

Much of Professor Atlas' information is based on perceptions and surveys, and it struck a chord in me.

Me? My family had been in either the Navy or Marines since the Revolutionary War.  I never had any pressure at all to join. In fact, my mother was vehemently against military service. But still, I went. So, according to Professor Atlas, the gap is widening between my mother's generation and mine.

So why did I serve? Why does a family continually have children that decide to serve in the military?

I think we can definitely dismiss the case for riches and wealth. Some liberals would like to believe that we were "Born to Kill" (think Full Metal Jacket). That's not it either. And while I definitely took advantage of the college benefits, that's not the motivation.

Almost all of us military folks bleed red, white and blue. We tear up when the Star Spangled Banner is played because we imagine Francis Scott Key captured and desparate, hoping to see his beloved flag flying. We tell people at the ball park to take their hats off during the national anthem.

We defend our country no matter who is in the White House. We suffer when the leadership is poor and we thrive when the leader ship is good.

But how does a family serve for generations?

The reason is that there is a feeling of obligation for the benefit of living in a country built on ideas. That we understand that freedom is not for free. That somebody has to defend it. And we are actually willing to do it.

Some of us may feel morally superior because of it. However, I feel that my service connects me to my country, my ancestors, and my heroes and that it gives me a better understanding of the price of liberty. There IS an underlying obligation on us, but it’s not to our families or country, but to ourselves to see if living the life defending freedom is worth it. I tell you it is.

One last thing. Those of us in the Warrior Caste feel more akin to those with the same connections. You can see this for yourself when two of us, who’ve never met before, are instantly brothers or sisters after two minutes of conversation (or blogging). It’s not understood. It’s not implied. It is felt…it is felt down in the deepest reaches of your gut, your soul.

The Warrior Caste serves for generations because it has deep faith. Faith that your leaders won’t send you to the far corners of the earth to do wrong. Faith that your fellow citizens will care for your well-being, keeping you equipped and fed. Faith that our Founding Fathers were right in that fighting for freedom is worth dying for. Faith in your fellow soldiers.

We hope to live up to the expectations of our parents and ancestors and, most of all, of you.

That’s no surprise but it needs to be said.

Those of you of the Warrior Caste – what say you?

Comments

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Warrior Caste:

The Warrior Caste
from the evangelical outpost
If you haven’t already done so, you need to skip over to Blackfive’s blog and read what he has to say about the American Warrior Caste. His post really struck a cord with me and is in line with my... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 18, 2003 3:08:51 PM

» Link Fest '03 from BigStick.us
Ok, time once more for a kah-razy link fest, this time to promote the 2015 series hat some of our loyal fans should recognize. You can find links to the chapters below: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 3.5... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 18, 2003 10:22:34 PM

» CARNIVAL OF THE VANITIES, 61st EDITION from Peaktalk
The Madness Continues … Are we mad? Are we crazy? Are we nuts? Have lost it spending hours in front of our computer writing, reading, commenting, trackbacking, permalinking and praying for traffic? Do the many e-mailers asking Glenn if he [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 19, 2003 12:09:43 AM

» CARNIVAL OF THE VANITIES, 61st EDITION from Peaktalk

Tracked on Nov 19, 2003 12:14:45 AM

» SPEED DEMONS from Mudville Gazette
From Stars and Stripes: A recent study done by Quality Planning Corporation, a company hired by the insurance industry to analyze data such as driving patterns or uncover fraudulent claims, looked into the occupations of more than 1 million drivers... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 19, 2003 3:32:48 PM

» The Warrior Caste from Mister Green
Blackfive had this great post about what he calls the Warrior Caste, families that have served in the military through the generations, and about what some feel is the widening difference between civilians and the military. I didn't serve, mainly... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 21, 2003 9:20:23 AM

» The Warrior Caste from Mudville Gazette
Soldier, rest! thy warfare o’er, Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking; Dream of battled fields no more, Days of danger, nights of waking. -- Sir Walter Scott, The Lady of the Lake Blackfive recently discussed The Warrior Caste: I... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 22, 2003 10:47:28 AM

» Duty from Citizen Smash - The Indepundit
MILBLOGGER BLACKFIVE has sparked an interesting discussion about “The Warrior Caste.” (Hat tip: Watt) So why did I serve? Why... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 25, 2003 4:32:42 PM

» The Warrior Caste from sgt hook
While running through the woods eating snakes and probing for mines I found some time to give thought to a posting of Blackfive's a few weeks back. He talked about the Warrior Caste, that is those who serve in the military generation after generation, ... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 9, 2003 11:56:24 AM

» The Warrior Cast from Brain Fertilizer
I ran across this post by Sgt Hook, which refers to this post by Blackfive. Blackfive says that it is do to a sense of obligation, an underlying understanding of both what we are defending and what we might sacrifice.... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 9, 2003 7:47:12 PM

» MilBlogs from Mudville Gazette
I've asked my fellow MilBloggers to submit "notable posts" they've written in the recent past for inclusion here, with a quick summary in their own words. Without further ado, here's the MilBlogs' "Greatest Hits" for this week. (Check back, as... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 11, 2003 11:58:44 PM

» Warrior Caste Illustrated from Sgt Hook
I recently stumbled across an article about the Lamb family who are selflessly serving this great nation of ours. Six family members wear the uniform of our military, and four of them will be deployed to Afghanistan simultaneously this year. The articl... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 21, 2004 11:49:10 AM

» A "Best of Blackfive" collection from Mudville Gazette
Blackfive has posted an If You Are Relatively New To Blackfive... post with links to a number of his best works, including such posts as Taking Chance Home and The Warrior Caste. Please take time to read as many of... [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 26, 2004 11:28:26 AM

» The Warrior Caste from the evangelical outpost
If you havent already done so, you need to skip over to Blackfives blog and read what he has to say about the American Warrior Caste. His post really struck a cord with me and is in line with my... [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 21, 2005 2:07:54 PM